I'm astonished.

eggsarascal

I was talking to a fella that I sold some drain cameras to the other day, he claimed he was 'doing' £140k a year working for a well known drainage outfit as a subby. He made it clear that he was out day and night to get that sort of tut. He was from outside the City, Watford, iirc.

How on earth then, when someone asks me to do a job in London can they ask me if £150/day would be acceptable?..... No I won't be doing it.

With the average house price in London being half a million quid how are people affording to live there?, unless they bought houses years ago.

Everyone can't commute in, Shirley.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the average house price in London being half a million quid how are people affording to live there?, unless they bought houses years ago.

They rent.

My daughter and other half are paying £1700pcm in Wimbledon and my son and other half have just got themselves a bargain in West Dulwich at a mere £1300pcm.

For those left who'd like to buy a) the mortgage repayments would be astronomical but the way to keep them down is to b) put down a huge deposit first, which they can't afford either.

But not everyone wants to buy like they did 20-30 years ago. Today's young things live for the moment more than we did and want to globetrot so are happy to spend on rent they can afford and have spending money left over rather than on a mortgage that would leave them nothing for leisure.

The globetrotting can either be holidays or time living abroad. In the case of the latter an intended move to a different country in 2-3 years is another reason not to get a mortgage. (My answer to that one is 'buy now if you can and rent it out when you go abroad' but it falls on deaf ears).

I understand the desire to live now and to see the world but I do wonder if these people realise that they are either going to need to make big money in their middle years in order to retire before they're 75 or they're likely to retire with next to nothing behind them: mention the words 'pension plan' and you're met with rolling eyes!

Well such are the high rents and mortgage payments is it any wonder young kids want to live for the moment....

Whats needed is living wages and affordable housing.. errm might want to take away any subsidies people get for rents as well.... I'll bet there's billions being paid out to morons who think the State aught be paying for their mortgage through state subsidies for their tenant's...

I used to do some site work in London; it was pretty horrible but money was good can't imagine how horrendous working on the drainage system is as the whole place is a massive rats nest (two and four legs!). I imagine that to rake in that money he couldn't be picky over which jobs he took and earn't every penny.

I was talking to a fella that I sold some drain cameras to the other day, he claimed he was 'doing' £140k a year working for a well known drainage outfit as a subby. He made it clear that he was out day and night to get that sort of tut. He was from outside the City, Watford, iirc.

How on earth then, when someone asks me to do a job in London can they ask me if £150/day would be acceptable?..... No I won't be doing it.

You of all people surprise me EgG, dont worry what other folk say they earn because its usually a load of old tosh or confusion between turnover and profit . If you only need £150 a day and thats straight in your bin whats wrong with that?

Bob