12 week tree surgery course

ShorterTrees

12 week course (plumpton college)

NPTC/City & Guilds Award in Chainsaw and Related Operations, Award for Felling and Processing Small Trees, Award to Climb Trees and Perform Aerial Rescue, Award to operate a Chainsaw from a Rope and Harness, Level 2 Certificate of Competence in Manually Fed Woodchipper Operations, One Day First Aid. Candidates will also gain a City and Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Forestry and Arboriculture, City and Guilds Level 1 Award in Horticulture Skills.

Has anyone done this course with no previous experience? It says previous experience desirable but not necessary.

All help appreciated

I have no previous experience other than working with my grandad during school holidays when I was much younger, i have been window cleaning for 6 years or more now & hate it. I have quite a few friends that are arborists & just really want to get into a job I actually enjoy. Just wanted to know if it's a suitable course & wouldn't be thrown in too far at the deepend.

I did this course about 6years ago. Had no experience using chainsaws or climbing trees with ropes. They teach you from the beginning so to speak, so don't need any experience with anything. Would be good if you are a quick learner and very keen. Tutors when I was there were very good and give you extra help if needed. Teaches you what you need to pass the tests, learn everything else on the job. Is a good course, try and get on the summer one, then its nice and warm and dry for leaning to climb.:001_cool:

I did this course about 6years ago. Had no experience using chainsaws or climbing trees with ropes. They teach you from the beginning so to speak, so don't need any experience with anything. Would be good if you are a quick learner and very keen. Tutors when I was there were very good and give you extra help if needed. Teaches you what you need to pass the tests, learn everything else on the job. Is a good course, try and get on the summer one, then its nice and warm and dry for leaning to climb.:001_cool:

Was it really 6 years ago !! jeez .. The course is as good as the people on it ! I think we were lucky with our group Ross , the other half were a bunch of spanners !