Rock climber to tree climber.

TIMON

Hi all,

We have a guy starting work with us who is a qualified abseiling instructor and a rock climber. We would like to get him some practice climbing trees and introducing him to the kit that we use. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of transition?

Any advice or thoughts would be great.

Thanks

yep i did it.

keep the system simple so prussick and rope.

i think keeping the kit to a minimum and dont go too complex once he has the principles

he will be ok

the main thing of difference is trees move and flex rock does not. so i can see that being the most difficult thing. he should know how strong harness ropes etc are so i dont see that being a problem.

Hi all,

We have a guy starting work with us who is a qualified abseiling instructor and a rock climber. We would like to get him some practice climbing trees and introducing him to the kit that we use. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of transition?

Any advice or thoughts would be great.

Thanks

I've done quite a bit of rock climbing over the years, both sport & traditional & have just started climbing (trees) I found although knot knowledge will help, as will a head for heights, the muscles you use are different so will take a little while to transition. Plus it feels completely different climbing a tree to climbing a rock face I found.

I found the need to use auto locking karabiners strange, I understood why once I started tree climbing, generally in rock climbing you attach to the rope and your screwlock (assuming you haven't tied directly to your harness) stays put rather than being continually attached and removed. The use of auto locking karabiners everywhere rather than plain gate. Also the miniumum diameter for prussiks is greater in the arb industry, I always used 5.5mm dyneema. Using static (meaning low or no stretch) rather than dynamic (meaning stretch = shock absorption) rope, generally having a top anchor rather than climbing above your running belay. Self belay isn't common in rock climbing either. It isn't difficult to get to grips with tree climbing techniques it's just that things are different, how much probably depends on when you started rock climbing.

IMO there's a greater risk in rock climbing if you happen to be leading the climb, you can be 5m above your last running belay, fall and you're looking at a 10m + drop (guess why you use a dynamic rope) and hoping your running belay holds. There's a world of difference between a climbing wall and a rock face.

You need to go North :biggrin:

http://cdn.rockfax.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/NWC-Cover.jpg

I'm having difficulty figuring out the 'Football/Rugby' analogy. :-)

Rock climbing, I found I had to use my legs more rather than rely on upper body strength. Tree climbing, I find I'm always pulling up using upper body, whether I'm thrusting up or using the tree itself by pulling up on branches. Also, I meant a variety of things by the analogy like both are ball games/both use ropes but use them in different ways. Just an opinion that's all, and only from my own experiences