Stihl Grey Paint

Andy5600

Hello Guys,

Wondering if anyone knows where it is possible to get hold of some stihl grey spray paint mail order.

I found one place that does same shade in spray cans (400ml) £12, but the postage price nearly doubles the cost.

Thanks.

As far as I know, they have used different "shades" at different times - so the age of you saw likely matters.

Your Stihl dealer should be able to get the proper paint for you, but I have no idea what it costs.

Why do you want to paint your saw anyway? To me it doesn't make sense, unless something out of the ordinary has happened to the saw....:confused1:

The biggest problem with painting saws is finding paint that resists petrol.

IMO, a painted saw is a high hours machine trying to be a low hours machine for the reason of sale unless it is a genuine rebuild of a vintage machine.

If it is a collectors item, repainting ruins the collectors value (imo) - and if it is a "work" saw there is no point (except trying to fool a perspective buyer).

The valid reason (imo) is if something unusual has happened, that discolored the saw.

Ford Tractor Grey is a pretty good match and Kubota Orange for the rest. This is lifted from a certain American site:

the old white: RAL 7035

the old red: RAL 3000 "fire red"

orange: RAL 2004

new white: RAL 9010

However lots of reasons for not painting a saw have already been listed.

I have used this paint as it has some resistance to petrol but only after it is baked and has had time to fully harden and cure.

I did do one of my first saws with it and looked in horror as the petrol dissolved the paint on my freshly painted saw.

Rustoleum Aerosols - Decorative Aerosol Spray Paints:

I don't like old bangers that are painted as many just "Paint an old banger" but if you are doing a full rebuild on a classic or well used saw and want it to look good then fine. Just make sure the metal is prepared and degreased thoroughly before spraying.

That looks interesting,

You are right preparation is the key when painting, a coat of acid etch primer prior to base primer helps the paint stick good on smooth metals and alloys after you have keyed the surface.

You are also correct in saying paints take time to cure, the paint may be dry outside but is still soft underneath this includes enamels and hammerite type paints, these are best left in a warm place for a couple of weeks IMO...