Wasps attracted to a goat willow

Shane

I've just had a call from a customer telling me that her goat willow is attracting loads of wasps. Apparently they are not nesting on it but are all over it and on the ground below. She thinks they are after something thats coming out of the tree - I will not be able to get round there till tomorrow so in the mean time I wondered if anyone has any theories on what might be going on.

I will, of course, report back with more info and piccies when I have them.

I vaguely recall something like this on here before but cannot find it.

It's aspirin or one of its constituents that attract the wasps. SEveral years back I was restoring a yacht right next to to mature GW and every morning at about this time of year I had to sweep dozens of them off the decks. They were stoned - partying on aspirin, having a rave before crashing out on the decks. Might be worth having a look in the morning to get to them before they wake up for their next fix.

I worked with a lad once who, if we were working near GW, regularly got stung whereas they didn't touch me - never worked that one out.

The aspirin is actually salicylic acid, and found mainly in the bark. It's where aspirin originally came from, but the acid had a tendency to upset stomachs. Some clever guy whose name I can't remember discovered something I've forgotten to change the chemical structure to produce aspirin. I imagine it is all synthesized in a lab now though, I've never seen a medical Salix farm!

The aspirin is actually salicylic acid, and found mainly in the bark. It's where aspirin originally came from, but the acid had a tendency to upset stomachs. Some clever guy whose name I can't remember discovered something I've forgotten to change the chemical structure to produce aspirin. I imagine it is all synthesized in a lab now though, I've never seen a medical Salix farm!

Felix Hoffman

Cheers Jules :thumbup: I have it in my mind he tested various changes to salicylic acid on his mother (or some other relation) to try and stop the negative side effects of stomach upset. Would that be correct, or just a fabrication of my own hazy memories?!

Cheers Jules :thumbup: I have it in my mind he tested various changes to salicylic acid on his mother (or some other relation) to try and stop the negative side effects of stomach upset. Would that be correct, or just a fabrication of my own hazy memories?!

I knew his name, that was all, isolated bit of trivia. But you could be right, way back in those days medicine was developed wilth less concern for the human guinea pigs.

Building on that, you are indeed correct that most aspirin is now artificially synthesized.

And, salycylic acid does wonders to plants and trees as a mulch (pure willow mulch). It activates / induces immune response to a tree, improving 'signalling', and making the tree more staunch in defense against pathogens.