Need choppng down ?

unionworkeruk

Question

The tree is tall and slender and the trunk sways in the wind from about 7 foot (2 metres). There is a cavity in the base of the trunk. The tree has been there swaying for about 20 years but is now as tall as the two story house. I am told the swaying and the cavity shows it is danger of keeling over in high winds so do I need to get it taken down or at least cut back ? Thanks

WP_20150809_002.jpg.c756946cd5c7c7c36c6c925bd0480912.jpg

WP_20150809_006.jpg.0e87503cff4c4b2d235fb360b87b66f7.jpg

WP_20150809_008.jpg.ca318971d2ea8dbd0d7e5a01d5e56b09.jpg

WP_20150809_009.jpg.28366f72dbacd987e6bed74bcca723b7.jpg

6 answers to this question

Looks like an ailanthus? Trees are supposed to flex in the wind, if they didn't they'd snap. However looking at this, am I right in thinking it is in quite a crowded spot? If so its likely to grow into a tall and spindly tree with not much future. If thats the case I would personally have it out while its small and a relatively cheap job.

Looks like an ailanthus? Trees are supposed to flex in the wind, if they didn't they'd snap. However looking at this, am I right in thinking it is in quite a crowded spot? If so its likely to grow into a tall and spindly tree with not much future. If thats the case I would personally have it out while its small and a relatively cheap job.

No idea of the name but is it supposed to flex so low down the trunk and what of the cavity ? It is in the corner of the garden with little sun and rises very high into a canopy of tree from the park at the back. There are only two main branches. I cannot see what is happening higher up. I am happy to leave it if it is not a danger to surrounding people or property but the swaying from just about seven foot does worry me when it is so slender and high. Thanks for the advice.

Agreed.

It looks like it's fighting for light perhaps a reduction in height to suitable secondary growth points. That can then be managed on a regular basis at that size, this could be an option if you wished to retain it.

The price would be more than likely the same or very close for felling to ground level.

Just call out a recommended tree surgeon for a free no obligation quotation and advice most of us work on that basis. Always hard to help from a photo.

From the upside down/sidewards view of the cavity - it doesn't look too bad and there does appear to be reaction growth/woody swelling to compensate for the strength loss due to the cavity.

You say you cant see the top easily, but if it doesn't have a great deal of crown, it won't have a large sail area to catch the wind, so less likely to fail in that regard also. What I cannot rule out from these pictures is if there is any active fungal colonisation which could lead to brittle failure or similar depending on the fungal species.

An easy test for you to decide if you want it out is this:

1. Which way is the trees weight/lean?

2. If the tree failed in that particular direction, what would it land on?

3. Is what it would land on, worthy of protection?

So, does it have a particular likely direction should it fail? Most trees don't fail against gravity, but this depends on the strength of the wind/other factors. Will it land on someone's lawn (low potential damage risk) or someone's expensive sports car (high potential damage risk - there may be a person in the car)?

I've oversimplified the situation here, but hopefully that will help you decide what to do.