Partner 370 puzzle for a novice

kristoff

Hi, everyone.

I retired last year and know nothing about petrol engines/chainsaws/mowers but I am interested in expanding my knowledge, that shouldn't be too hard to be honest!

I've already bought and fixed two non-running petrol mowers for a few quid and can't begin to tell you how much of a kick I got out of it.

This week I bought a Partner 370 Chainsaw on the Bay of E listed as a non-running 'spares or repair' chainsaw. When I picked it up and got it home I saw that the Primer Bulb had disintegrated so I knew I'd have to replace that.

I took all the covers off to access it and noticed only one fuel line was attached to the Primer and that went straight into the tank. Maybe I would find the other missing fuel line inside the well somewhere - which I did once I'd detached the carb and could get a 360 degree view all around it.

The only thing is, I can't find a nipple on the Walbro WT239 Carb as there appears to be only one and that goes straight into the tank.

Any knowledgeable folk got any ideas? I've trawled YouTube and gawped at the carb till I'm blue in the face. There is a Poulan Chainsaw which looks to be exactly the same in the States but I still can't get the info I need.

Much appreciated in advance.

Here is the parts list for the saw -

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=uCaiVYOeOuLN7QaPt6jQBw&url=http://ersatzteillisten.motoruf.de/Partner/Motorsaegen/ipl,%2520partner,%2520p351,%2520p370,%2520p390,%2520p420,%25202002-08,%2520chain%2520saw.pdf&ved=0CCEQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNHhFAtWDq--0KhDWQQhse5wCr-55Q&sig2=dSnG2d3mbBjZgF1_JBqkFw

Typically the carb will have two connectors, one for the main fuel feed from the tank and the primer will simply draw fuel through the carb and return it to the tank, this is how most of them work.

I have seen some that will create a positive pressure in the tank that is enough to force fuel in to the tank but typiclally, you will have two connections on your carb, the lower one on the clutch side will come from the fuel tank and the one on the other side goes to the primer bulb and the other pipe on the primer bulb returns fuel to the tank.

I have just checked the Jonsered version of your saw and this is as it is! the product was manufactured for Partner, McCulloch and Jonsered by Electrolux of which Husqvarna was part of for a while.

Absoulutley correct, the PURGE bulb pulls the fuel from the carb, into the bulb and pushes it back to the tank, there is a second connection on the carb ( if it is the original one ) for the PURGE pipe, when you buy things from E Bay you have no idea what may have been messed with, looks like a new carb is needed, hope you didnt pay too much for it, going as it chould its not worth much more than £50

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Spud, that's exactly what I expected before I removed the covers having checked out videos on youtube. Below I've got an image of the fuel line I found lying inside the well. Strangely it has some sort of valve or stopper at one end which I can't blow cleanly through. Also there is a hyperlink to the carb which is exactly the same as my WT239.

ADW, totally agree about ebay, the price isn't an issue really though as I'm doing it for enjoyment and not to make a profit.

fuel_line.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carburetor-Husqvarna-530071987-545013503-5300713545/dp/B00OZCA7C0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1436705909&sr=8-1&keywords=wt239]Carburetor Carb Fits Husqvarna 136 137 141 142 36 41 Chainsaw 530071987 545013503 530071492 5300713545 530071693 530071693 530071345 530035478 530035424 530069629 530071492 530071691 530035330 Walbro WT-834 WT-657 WT-529 WT-289 WT-285 WT-239 WT-202: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51k6Og0kEuL.@@AMEPARAM@@51k6Og0kEuL[/ame]

That valve in the pipe looks like a pop rivet to me, looks like the carb is probably non original, the saw will probably run without using the primer bulb as most saws use an impulse arrangement on a pump diaphragm under the carb cover held on with one screw. It may just need a few more pulls to get it going.

The carb in the amazon listing is for a Husqvarna 141 etc and doesn't have a primer bulb hence the single connector and is probably the carb you have on your saw anyway!

I don't know if you are interested but I can pull one of these carbs with two connectors off a scrapper I have here and get it in the post for say £20 inc delivery!

I would remove the saws muffler and double check the piston before purchasing any carb as these saws are usually owned by weekend warriors who cant mix 50:1 fuel oil:001_rolleyes: and usually seize them.

Yes it looks like somebady has fitted the wrong carb, so blanked the purge off, it should still run like this, all be it may be a little harder to start, i would get it running before you spend too much money on it, Spuds offer of the carb seems like a good thought.

Yes it looks like somebady has fitted the wrong carb, so blanked the purge off, it should still run like this, all be it may be a little harder to start, i would get it running before you spend too much money on it, Spuds offer of the carb seems like a good thought.

Its a done deal, just got to extricate it from the saw.....Sunday nights, bah, a rest is for whimps:001_rolleyes::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorted! Thanks again, Spud.

Spent a good deal of this week checking out safety guidelines, protective clothing and good practice.

Now for the non-starting pressure washer. So far I've got 5 out of 6 spares or repairs working, not bad for someone who knows nowt about small engines and machinery.

Sorted! Thanks again, Spud.

Spent a good deal of this week checking out safety guidelines, protective clothing and good practice.

Now for the non-starting pressure washer. So far I've got 5 out of 6 spares or repairs working, not bad for someone who knows nowt about small engines and machinery.

Well done, glad it worked out OK:thumbup: