Climbing line above or below block?

Badgerado

I realise the standard practice is varied for this, but when snatching down pieces I put my lanyard above the block and my climbing line choked off at about knee height.. (If the block slips that much then you've tied it wrong or the piece is far too large and should have snapped your rope) I understand it is now taught to have both lines above the block (to reduce any drop you would get if your lanyard either flips off or is cut) I think this is more of a climber preference but would like to get some different views on pros and cons.. And esp. Industry standards, I believe they are currently changing it in the U.S. where choking off the climbing line wasn't in good practice before.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I place both above the block, once you have a piece hanging from the block you could feasibly damage your climb line through friction from the rigging line. Or the rigging line could pinch your climb line to the tree making any further movement impossible. Place the block low enough to ensure you aren't in danger of your tie ins coming off, but high enough so as to minimise the drop of the piece.

I place both above the block, once you have a piece hanging from the block you could feasibly damage your climb line through friction from the rigging line. Or the rigging line could pinch your climb line to the tree making any further movement impossible. Place the block low enough to ensure you aren't in danger of your tie ins coming off, but high enough so as to minimise the drop of the piece.

Interesting, I can certainly see your point :)

Above, it's a no brainier .

Why bother responding then? If you read the post I was asking for people to discuss pros and cons and industry standards not just say "yeh same here" OP is a dumass, not really very productive dude. Would've been interested to hear from you as to why it's a no brainer.

I was taught in college below years ago with the idea being on a violent snatch you could get flicked off the stem , in 20 years I've never burnt a rope or pinched one in a topping strop/rigging block so will Continue to do it this way although I did do it above in a nptc refresher last week when the examiner asked to see another snatch I knew immediately why. I also like the idea of my ropes being further away from the block whilst cutting.

Why bother responding then? If you read the post I was asking for people to discuss pros and cons and industry standards not just say "yeh same here" OP is a dumass, not really very productive dude. Would've been interested to hear from you as to why it's a no brainer.

Ha ha

A handful of posts in and you go on the offensive against one of the forums senior and respected contributors.

Take a chill pill dude, you might not like the answer you get but what you get is what you get