Relocating to Surrey / North West Sussex, East Hampshire/Berkshire!

Mr Fowler

The missus has just landed her dream job working in Godalming so she wants me to move there in August. She says our cat also wants to move there, but he's said nothing to me about it. After numerous google searches, I have realised I know absolutely nothing of this part of the UK! I am still struggling to comprehend how we could potentially live in one county and work in another. Weird.

We're going to be renting somewhere within 30 minutes commute of Godalming, preferably by train because she really doesn't want a car (and I don't think she should be allowed one).

Anyone got any advice on where to live that is relatively cheap within this area? So far we've been looking at Woking, Camberley, Aldershot, Farnham and even as far south as Haslemere. Not exactly narrowing it down, but we're quite quickly realising it gets more expensive the closer you move to London! Any areas that should be avoided?

Also, who's good to work for and who isn't (PM's advised!)? So far I've sent CV's to Gavin Jones (Addlestone), Glendale (Witley), Bartletts (Wormley, I think). Anyone else I should be looking to get in contact with?

Any advice appreciated. So far the advice I've had is "don't move there!" haha.

:001_cool:

Cheers for the replies everyone!

Will probably give Guildford a miss - seems very expensive, albeit nice. Aldershot also sounds like it could be my worst nightmare.

Petersfield, Liphook and Farnham are all potentials depending on where I can get a job!

Hoping to get something full time/PAYE so hopefully won't have to go into Honey Brothers and then walk out again with no money! But that depends on whether my future employer wants to give me 5 weeks off unpaid leave at the end of October...

For the easy commute on the train you want to be on the main line to avoid the change at guildford. as you say north to woking gets expensive. south you got witly - small village, nice not too expensive; milford, same; haslemere gets expensive but further south liphook small town, and petersfield medium town both nice and not expensive at all and easy within yer half hour.

Ignore ^^ about aldershot, it's fine.

Lots of small towns and villages on that line but it goes into guildford so you got a one stop change - blimey forgot farncombe! farncombe as per witly and milford above - a two stop change to get to godalming.

Godalming itself has got plenty of residential and, lets face it plenty of people live in guildford - bus ride to the station - so it can't be that expensive.

best of luck.

HTH

Yourn.

For the easy commute on the train you want to be on the main line to avoid the change at guildford. as you say north to woking gets expensive. south you got witly - small village, nice not too expensive; milford, same; haslemere gets expensive but further south liphook small town, and petersfield medium town both nice and not expensive at all and easy within yer half hour.

Ignore ^^ about aldershot, it's fine.

Lots of small towns and villages on that line but it goes into guildford so you got a one stop change - blimey forgot farncombe! farncombe as per witly and milford above - a two stop change to get to godalming.

Godalming itself has got plenty of residential and, lets face it plenty of people live in guildford - bus ride to the station - so it can't be that expensive.

best of luck.

HTH

Yourn.

I fort you wuz norvern?