Oversensitive stop bar on chip master 220.

Mick Dempsey

Ok so I got this chipper at the turn of the year from the UK, ex rental but only 700 hrs. We've been ironing out the niggles to bring it back to its former glory.

Including replacing wrongly sharpened blades, unravelling wire from around the rollers, replacing a broken solenoid in the stress control, repairing a leak in the fuel tank, sharpening the rollers a bit. Anyway as I've said before I'm happy to throw a few quid at it as its a third of the new price. Plus many thanks to GM for their patient help.

Something has got us foxed though, the bump bar is too sensitive, but a big piece of wood in and the vibration loosens and lowers the bar so it reverses, meaning you have to hold the bar back to keep it feeding, also during the normal course of a day's chipping it creeps down reducing flow and slowing the rollers, a quick pull of the bump bar sorts it out but it's annoying.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Mick

image.jpg.27d81dceee59a42dfb67f8dba4c41bfb.jpg

Tighten up the nuts that hold it onto the chipper.

usually 2 at the top and 2 in the middle.

Thats what we do on the Schiesling :thumbup1:

I know I've overdone it when I see my lad having to kick the bar to reverse the rollers :blushing:

Mmmm,good idea, you mean the "arms" that hold the bar to the top of the hopper?

No, I'm thinking the part in your picture, shim between the bracket from the stop bar and the part that clamps it, if that makes any sense at all.

But shims at the top will also help.

Ok, I've been at it all morning, tightened it all with shims, plus tightened a spring, moved the whole unit forward, it's better........... I think!

Won't know properly till tomorrow, I'm on the edge of a village here so can't start it up and run it out the back in all conscience on a Sunday.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

image.jpg.93cb22c324bae9999b4987b6374c6c45.jpg