Odd things found

TGB

It's the odd things that are found, that can brighten an otherwise rotten day. For instance, tax on car due to expire tomorrow. Naturally I'd left it till the last moment to renew. As I'd been busy and in the back of my mind, was the nagging, that the funds were better off in my coffers, than that of the state. Also, I hadn't bothered to find the relevant docs until today, as all the docs are in one place.

So after a lay-in, I nonchalantly switch on the PC and while it's booting, I go get the docs.

"Bugger! Where's the log book? Why the hell is it not with the rest of the docs?"

Then commences the search for Stanley, the Ancient Marriner and one Golden Fleece. Well during my questing I found:

• the hood of a coat that I haven't been able to find in quite some while. Every time I donned that coat and it was raining, I had it in the back of my mind, that one day it would turn up in the back of a draw. Well it didn't; it was in a suitcase.

• a pair and a single 'chocolate box' wire connectors. Just what was needed yesterday to extend wiring in my father's garage. I knew I had some but couldn't remember where I'd put them. So the job got shelved and instead I found myself digging over part of his veg patch. Runner beans in next Tues and maybe some more artichokes will be ready. So far, there's been just the one. Oh. And I can finish off the wiring.

• a full box of Piriteze. Which is a pity, as I'd just bought two boxes yesterday, having run out the day before.

And finally... after six hours of tearing through every box, drawer, the Amazon, suitcase; shelf, file storage; got soggy listening to some bloke go on and on and on about how he'd sailed the seven seas and wasn't the price of cockles always going up; every coat, bag, including the laptop bag, in the car itself, under the hi-fi, ; meeting some chap called Jason, who said he'd carry on looking for a gilded sheep, as he needed something to do tomorrow; every nook, every cranny and eventually finding it, (the log book/V5C) under a bed. I was able to begrudgingly pay the state a few coppers more.

But hey. The money stayed in my coffers for a few hours longer and it was a mini adventure. Less stress next time please.

Edited by TGB

Every year the missus and her friend camp for a week at Burghley horse trials, so one year I relented and said I would meet them for the day, grabbed a random fleece off the peg, chucked it into the boot of the car and set off. Picked them up from the camp site and drove the 10 mins to the members car park. Pulled the fleece out of the boot and put it on, wasn't till we were walking across the car park and felt a lump in the top zipped pocket, pulled a rolled up bundle of twentys, bound in a lacy band, £200, seems it had been in there from the year before when we had been on holiday to cornwall.

Only last week, came back from shopping with her, turfing the receipts, card wallet and loose change onto the counter in the kitchen, there is a back door type key amongst it all, WTF!, what key is that, is it your mothers? no hers is a front key, don't know then, turns out to be one of customers back door key she keeps in the pot in the car, how the hell did it get in my pocket.

And the 12" steel rule which is always kept with chisels etc next to the lathe, cussing at the missus to put things back blah, blah, found it 2 weeks later beside the vice on the bench where I sharpen me chains, less than 6 feet where it should have been.