Looking at Husky 135 or Stihl MS181 comments welcome.

Super_Spud

Hi folks, I hope everyone is doing better than great!

I'm in the market for a chainsaw. This will be the first chainsaw I will have personally owned although I've worked a fair amount with borrowed/hired items.

I will require something which can process firewood for a log burner. I have access to woodland where I have permission to harvest a few selected trees which are relatively small as well as limb branches of some larger tress (will be cut using bow saw and processed on ground as I'm not comfortable wave a chainsaw in the air off ropes/ladder!)

I would class my usage as occasional but when used would be for a full days work.

I have a budget of £200, I would prefer not to 'stretch' it as with a pair of chaps/trousers and a few other bits I'm already looking at a good wedge of cash.

I've narrowed my search down to either a stihl ms181 or a Husqvarna 135 both 14" bars.

Does anyone have any comments on either of the 2 above?

What I have noticed is that despite having identical power outputs the Husqvarna has a larger engine displacement and is therefore less stressed with a big more grunt/torque?

Does anyone have any experience with dealer support? I have a few stihl dealers in my area so have plenty of support. I do have 1 Husqvarna dealer not as conveniently located but still OK to get to, anyone have past experiences to call upon?

Any help is much appreciated!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi folks, I hope everyone is doing better than great!

I'm in the market for a chainsaw. This will be the first chainsaw I will have personally owned although I've worked a fair amount with borrowed/hired items.

I will require something which can process firewood for a log burner. I have access to woodland where I have permission to harvest a few selected trees which are relatively small as well as limb branches of some larger tress (will be cut using bow saw and processed on ground as I'm not comfortable wave a chainsaw in the air off ropes/ladder!)

I would class my usage as occasional but when used would be for a full days work.

I have a budget of £200, I would prefer not to 'stretch' it as with a pair of chaps/trousers and a few other bits I'm already looking at a good wedge of cash.

I've narrowed my search down to either a stihl ms181 or a Husqvarna 135 both 14" bars.

Does anyone have any comments on either of the 2 above?

What I have noticed is that despite having identical power outputs the Husqvarna has a larger engine displacement and is therefore less stressed with a big more grunt/torque?

Does anyone have any experience with dealer support? I have a few stihl dealers in my area so have plenty of support. I do have 1 Husqvarna dealer not as conveniently located but still OK to get to, anyone have past experiences to call upon?

Any help is much appreciated!!

The Husky .....Your not Steve Gumm's ( spud ) stunt double are you ? :biggrin:

There's not much in it really, both are good machine and would suit your intended use.

The husky has a slight edge engine wise and is marginally less plasticky.

Regardless of that I'd just go with what brand's dealer is closest/ most capable.

BTW, both saws would be stretching your budget....?

You can still get the 135 for under £200 from lawnmowersdirect and a couple of others but I've not seen MS181 under £200 from anywhere. I got mine for £189 a couple of years ago and it's been fine. A friend of mine had a 181 and had problems with oiling but it was sorted under warranty, new pump fitted.

The Husky .....Your not Steve Gumm's ( spud ) stunt double are you ? :biggrin:

Excuse me Sir, I'm the one and only Super_Spud! :001_tt2:

i prefer the husky 135 got a bit of grunt for a budget saw i rate it more than the stihl ms211 i have both of them and rather use the husky 135

Ive found this video but no idea what he is saying!

I am a little worried the 181 won't have the grunt I'm after but dealer support is pretty good round here..

Not sure how genuine the video is....but look how the stihl chain is stopped mid cut.

[ame]

[/ame]

BTW, both saws would be stretching your budget....?

Just about do-able!!

Edited by Super_Spud