Beech Sawlogs

We are due to cut some beech tomorrow. The spec is 2.4m for firewood but as a lot of it is straight and 20-40"dbh I think there is an arctic of sawlogs amongst it. What is the most common length for beech sawlog length and is there much of a market for beech sawlogs or should they remain destined for firewood?

If all else fails I was thinking of cutting 4.8m then they can always be cut in half and added to the firewood stack!

Would appreciate any thoughts.

We are due to cut some beech tomorrow. The spec is 2.4m for firewood but as a lot of it is straight and 20-40"dbh I think there is an arctic of sawlogs amongst it. What is the most common length for beech sawlog length and is there much of a market for beech sawlogs or should they remain destined for firewood?

If all else fails I was thinking of cutting 4.8m then they can always be cut in half and added to the firewood stack!

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Cut 4.8 someone might want it. Maybe post something in the milling forum. I've done Beech in the past and again it all went for firewood. Sometimes if you have a spalted stick someone might want that one.

beech is a excellent timber for joinery.

why does everyone log it???:confused1:

If nobody wants to buy the logs for milling then, having already paid out for felling, processing and extraction, the time comes where you have to get a financial return and if that means they have to be sold as firewood, albeit for a few quid less, then that's what has to happen.

There was loads planted around here in the 20s for the furniture industry because as you say its excellent joinery timber. Now the furniture industry is all but gone so there is no market for the wood. Those who do want it don't use the volumes coming out.

On a slightly different perspective its easier to cut firewood than saw logs for a cutting perspective. The reality of firewood haulage is that its probally going 80 miles tops where as saw logs could be going much further than that. This is all reflected in the price so you're making more money sending it for firewood.

I did some work near Wycombe where they chair making industry use to be and there is a still bit of joinery there. A few 100m3 of saw logs went to firewood because nobody wanted it even that close to the industry.

it is a lovely timber. there is plenty of stuff in our firewood stack that you talented woodworking boys could turn into something pretty but it doesn't happen. why? because you would have to pay over and above the firewood value to compensate the feller for the extra hassle of meeting, negotiating, loading etc. do I feel guilty for waving it off on the lorry...yes but only briefly.

btw I still have a 10 foot elm stick put to one side and we felled a small diameter burr sycamore the other day.

sorry for the derail