Box Van or Pick Up

mowandgo

I keep hereing of vans being broken into builders & landscapers etc. For me the only advantage of a van is security so is a pick up beter? I have always had vans I do like them. Never had a pick up and would like to here from people who have had both. Pros & Cons skys the limit ona pick up!

I would have thought a van was more secure. The tailgate on my 2007 Ranger does not lock and the top tailgate on the Truckman canopy is not very secure either.

I know a friend just bought a brand new HiLux and that did have a lock on the lower tailgate.

I have a pick up with an aluminium mountain top cover. Although the tailgate itself doesn't lock, the mountain top does, and prevents the tailgate opening, keeping everything inside out of view and secure. Only trouble with a lot of pick ups is they're not completely waterproof, so given a heavy downpour, it can collect a bit of water on the rear. Of course, a van is secure and water tight. Pros and cons to both I suppose.

• 9 months later...
I keep hereing of vans being broken into builders & landscapers etc. For me the only advantage of a van is security so is a pick up beter? I have always had vans I do like them. Never had a pick up and would like to here from people who have had both. Pros & Cons skys the limit ona pick up!

The way I see it is a pickup can always be a van with a top on but a van will never be a pickup.

Bob

I would always go for a van over a pickup for security and if you need an open back then get a trailer.

On about vans, why dont you see many transit luton type vans being used. ( stevie blair had one) If i was in the market for a van i would certainly look at a luton, and then turn it partly into a mobile workshop. Any thoughts ?

I have a mwb transit van with two sets of metal shelves in the back, one runs along the bulkhead and has bottom hinged lockable doors, that's where all my saws and power tools go, the other shelves run along the left side from the side door to the back door. That's where the fuel cans, oil cans, hand tools etc are stored. Doing a lot of landscaping I need a van and would really miss the space. I still have plenty of room for the cement mixer, strimmers, mowers, rotavator etc. though I plan on selling the family car (wife doesn't know yet) and buying a crewcab pickup with a canopy but more as I want one, not that I need one as all my work is in residential areas.