Computer savvy? Please help!

sloth

I'm going to pass on my Windows 7 PC as I only ever use my laptop, haven't even turned the PC on for over a year. I have the back up/boot disc things I copied when it was new, if that helps. There is nothing on it I need to save for myself.

So, I'm looking to just wipe it completely clear, like new. I've looked online and been baffled by it all, can anyone explain it simply for me please?!

Thanks in advance, Kev

Hi

I would advise against wiping the disk, it makes all data irrecoverable - unless you have good reason to! & as Windows 7 its media-less (no install DVD) you need to be a bit careful or you will remove your install files. You will then have to download a new ISO file from Microsoft & install from that.

However, if you wish to remove the data in your profile (which is where Windows stores your data etc) you need to either log on as administrator or create a new account with administrator rights & delete the profile.

Perhaps this may achieve what you require:

[ame]

[/ame]

N

Hi

Bank passwords should never be storred in a browser, no matter how secure! however,

Take a look at last para on this page

How to Manage Your Internet Explorer Saved Passwords - MajorGeeks

If you are selling the computer, Id be tempted to remove all browser based passwords cookies etc & once the profile is removed, defrag the disk then wipe the free space - as opposed to the whole disk. This will take time, but overwrite the free space with nondescript data several times before erasing it securely.

There are a number of programs that can wipe free space CC Cleaner etc but you can do it from the command line in Windows, if C is your HDD you wish to wipe free space, run a command prompt & type

cipher /w:c

hit enter & away you go, works in XP & Vista too

theres several 'how to's' on this ie How To Overwrite Free Space Securely in Windows

N

Edited by NFG

formatting a drive wont delete the data. its still there and could be recovered by a smart arse if they wanted. better off just keeping the pc or remove the hard drive and retain it and sell the case.

you can get free software that can completely overwrite the files that will eliminate the data but this needs to run from a boot disk and does require some IT savvy if you want try that route.

Another option is to remove the drive and connect to another pc. the pc will recognise the new drive a bit like it will recognise a usb stick...then you can use some software to fully delete the data.