Yurt

Firestorm

Hi Guys/Gals,

I would like to build a camping Yurt. Which means lightweight construction.

Has anyone got any experience/knowledge they could share with me?

I have some plans/drawings for the framework but need to source someone to supply the material.

Any help greatly recieved.

There was a guy on here who did/does holiday lets in Yurts. Can't remember who it was though. :blushing:

Grizedale camping in Cumbria - they've got a website - Yurts, Pods, Tenting & caravanning - they can do for all - camping in field or in woodlands!!!:thumbup::thumbup:

A lightweight yurt!! Haha its called a tent. Yurt is big and heavy by definition.

Walls work on a concertina idea like so screen-shot-2012-07-02-at-9-46-21-pm.png using the door to hold the circle up.

Then you need the halo piece and a bunch of sticks to connect it to the walls.

Edited by castanea

I have been involved with tipi & yurt things in the past and although I can't help with the material sourcing I'd advise the usual 'ask around' woodland owners/managers/sawmills for your needs. You will need to consider things like steaming, mortice & tenon joints, the specifics of different timbers and what you want with portability and all those other things that need to be considered.

The side walls, as shown in the picture posted by castanea, have a very close relationship with the hoop and the bearers. You need to decide the size of your you wish to build and then make the walls in the way shown, although wet hide is another way along with copper rivets/roves (like clinker dinghy fastenings). These are made in several sections to make transport easier. The important part to remember is that for each 'V' in the lattice wall there is a bearer to fit and for each bearer there is a hole/slot in the hoop.

A family sized yurt will have 80 V's & subsequent holes in its hoop......

You will have to plan your door bearers too and the average for this is about five.

I hope this helps and I wish you well with the fun and skills you will learn when creating one of these wonderful structures :thumbup:

codlasher

Edited by codlasher

Hi, I've built yurts before. The tricky part is steam bending wood for the circular hole in the roof for all the roof spokes to go into. If you have that sussed then its happy days. I have made the walls from processed wood but just as good, if not better-and surprisingly uniform is to cut some poles. you can use any broad leaf wood, obviously coppiced hazel wood be nice, but anything 1-2" dia.When still fresh and green, take a butter knife and the bark peals off very nicely like a cheese string.lattice work them together using cord or screws-see castanea's diagram.The longer roof polel can be sourced from sycamore-roughly 3" dia. the thick ends to the outside. The shape is realy strong, and you can use some cord and nifty arb knots and hitches to keep it in place.The central curcle should be supported by the roof, no need for a cantral support. Tarp on top, I like a cheap plastic camo one and I cut it to shape then sew and duct tape.The base platform can be any skip raided flat planks on top of bricks to stop damp.Fire pit in and hay presto! Feel free to ask about finer points! If I were nearer I would have offered to help! :-)