Overhanging trees

Paul in the woods

Question

I'm looking to buy a house that has a few acres of mature woodland attached, that's the good news.

However, along one side of the property there are several mature trees, beech and ash, that are part of an old hedgebank at the edge of the wood. At a rough calculation they are about 25m tall and are leaning over the road. They also lean over an electricity and telephone line and, most importantly, a neighbouring house.

The road is a very quite country land and the cables only go to the house I'm looking at so less of an issue.

I think I have several options that I'd like some advice with choosing which way to go.

1) Do as little as possible. However, if a tree falls and causes damage I assume I would be liable as the land owner? Would an insurance company be happy to pay out or would they expect roadside trees to be professional inspected? If so who by and how often?

2) Fell the trees. I do like trees and plant a fair few but I'm also realistic and the trees would make excellent firewood. The problem I have is if all the offending trees were felled I'd probably need a felling license based on my initial calcs and that would be a pain. One possible option would be to pollard to under the cable and fell at a later date.

3) Trim the trees and actively manage them. Although with electric cables running through I can't see this being an easy thing to do so I'd rather get the work done all at once.

4) I gather the power company will trim some of the trees. However, seeing some of their work they have only left a 5cm or so gap between the tree and the cable. Does anyone know if I can discuss the issue with the power company and will they be happy to trim the trees back further?

5) Any option I've missed?

Thanks!

The power company will sort it. They will send out a surveyor and you can negotiate which you want removing or cutting back. Start from there as it's free. If your tree falls over they're not going to charge you anyway. I've got the same situation and the powerline trees are less hassle than the others, I've got to sort out!!

The power company will sort it. They will send out a surveyor and you can negotiate which you want removing or cutting back. Start from there as it's free. If your tree falls over they're not going to charge you anyway. I've got the same situation and the powerline trees are less hassle than the others, I've got to sort out!!

Also a felling license wont be a pain , especially if you are not selling any of the wood . Just fell the 5 cub / 1/4 you are allowed until you are done . :001_smile:

I've currently got a felling licence application in for a different woodland and I would like to avoid doing another. There is also a time issue as I don't own the house and they can take months to approve. I don't think I would be covered by an exemption if the trees were felled, but there may be some ways round it.

I had thought about staggering the work but with an electrical cable running close to the trees that will be quite difficult to get the work done as I assume the power will need to be cut off each time work is done?

Contacting the power company will be my first step. I'm not sure how much they will trim back but at least it will be a start.

There is no felling licence application for these overhanging trees.

How much would a power company cut back? Would they fell a tree that's 1 meter away from a cable (if they were asked) or just trim any close branches?

This depends very much on the dno, contractor and even surveyor. Depends on hv or lv too. Get them out to have a look, it wont cost you anything, so what have you to lose. Tell them you would like the trees down and they may do it as part of their maintenance or they will certainly cut them back enough so that you can then finish them safely with regards to the electric. I am pretty sure these works are exempt from a felling licence. Good luck.

Sorry I thought you said you had a felling application on another plot. Your 5cum per calendar quarter applies to all of your woodland holdings not just this one.

The power companies tend to cut back to between 3-5 metres of the line. When they did mine I was able to negotiate to keep or lose trees near to the line according to the long term issues with managing them. They are aiming to do the work and not have to consider it again for at least 5 years.

I understand you now Woodyguy. Yes I'm aware a felling licence will cover all my holdings, not sure about the fine detail when you purchase some more woodland. I doubt I can use the limits on my current application as it's site specific. I do still get a 5 cube per quarter allowance though.

I will have to see how I get on with the power company. They seem to be currently working in that area but as I don't own the house I don't know if they will speak to me.