What to do with 6ft long/2ft diameter Oak trunks?

thecaptain

Alright guys,

not sure whether to post this here or in the milling topic, so mods please move if apropriate.

I recently felled a mature but dead (been dead for the last 5+ years) and have logged up most of it but saved the truck, which I cut into roughly 5-6ft lengths and approx 2ft in diameter, big enough for the hiab crane to lift them onto the transit, really didnt want to log them up as it just seemed wasteful.

Was hoping to plank them up and make a few tabletops or shelves. However I dont own a milling machine, or portable device/chainsaw mill.

Should I bite the bullet and purchase something similar to this on ebay below? or does anyone have experience or suggestions for milling/planking what I have, I own a ms461 with long bar if that helps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/chainsaw-mill-planking-lumber-boards-milling-from-18-42-Stihl-husqvarna-/181370289739?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item2a3a82fe4b

Granberg Alaskan Mk III 30" chainsaw mill - planking lumber boards milling | eBay

Cheers in advance

Tom

59766c00c55dd_xperiaz1059.jpg.f1b88b77fd8cb819c451830ceccdec4c.jpg

59766c00c2c43_xperiaz1058.jpg.eb6fad90180b4a850430775937dde323.jpg

The length in the first picture is a bit knotty, but the others certainly look nice enough to mill.

Two options - buy an Alaskan mill and ripping chain, and do it yourself, or get someone in to mill it, work with them and learn from them for next time when you buy your own. Whereabouts are you?

Your 461 will handle 2', just not very fast, but how long is your 'long bar'? You will lose about 6" of milling length off the bar (if you take the dogs off the saw) so the bar needs to be at least 6" longer than the log diameter. There are several ways around this on a one-off basis though if necessary.

Alec

If you were nearer I would come and mill it with my alaskan but Dorset is a bit far away I am sure somebody near you would come with an alaskan or get one from Rob D once you have a go you will be hooked I was post some pics when you do mill it

Cheers Mark