Adding hydraulics to crane

sandcastles

Looking at purchasing a used vehicle with atlas 65.2 crane. Can anyone advise on how feasible it is to add hydraulic lines suitable for rotator and grab? Is it even possible, would it cost a bloody fortune... would I be better just replacing the crane with one that were made earlier.

This crane doesn't look to have had much use, so liked the idea of doing something with it.

Cheers,

Sandy

How easy all depends on the spool block, some spool blocks are bolted together and you can add extra sections to accommodate more services. Others are cast and will either need to be changed for one with the extra services , worst case scenario you could fit diverter valves on the pipes that service the legs .

Bob

How easy all depends on the spool block, some spool blocks are bolted together and you can add extra sections to accommodate more services. Others are cast and will either need to be changed for one with the extra services , worst case scenario you could fit diverter valves on the pipes that service the legs .

Bob

Check the existing block, you might be lucky and find it has the extra services you need. ( this almost never happens for me)

If it is a monoblock valve without the extras, you can fit a second block to operate the 2 extra services, it would need plumbing in on the pump side of the existing and fitting with a high pressure carry over to serve the existing.

You won't be able to use the existing block functions while you are using the new blocks services which will make it a bit "clunky" to use but it will be useable.

Check the existing block, you might be lucky and find it has the extra services you need. ( this almost never happens for me)

If it is a monoblock valve without the extras, you can fit a second block to operate the 2 extra services, it would need plumbing in on the pump side of the existing and fitting with a high pressure carry over to serve the existing.

You won't be able to use the existing block functions while you are using the new blocks services which will make it a bit "clunky" to use but it will be useable.

Clunky is an understatement :) you really need to be able to multi task with a crane so this method would be a last resort.

Bob

Someone I know who fits cranes does extra services for rotator and grab, depending on how many extensions the crane has it can get quite involved and expensive all that pipe has to go somewhere out of the way when the boom is in, that's without adding in what it will need valve block wise.

If it was me I would be looking for one with it already fitted as it generally doesn't add a huge amount to the s/h crane price, and will look a lot neater as a factory fit.

I would say that fitting a grab and rotator would be unnecessary for arb work. Assuming its a HIAB type crane then they are not really designed for grab work and they lack the slewing torque of a loading crane. I would say think about the average job that you will use it on and count the lifts, chances are it will be less than 10 per job. So for 10 picks you'd be as well using slings or chains, you may also be able to use a manual boom extension which will come in handy.

I have a loading crane as we do a bit of estate work, but if it was pure arb work I was doing I'd have a hiab with much more reach... Horses for courses though..

Thanks for your replies, gives me a better idea of what might be achievable. Most the examples I've found of this model seem to have grabs on the end, which led me to the hope they might use the same block on them all or at least are easily adapted. Maybe wishful thinking.

You've got a fair point there Tom, would mainly be used for large sections of timber rather than multiple lifts.

Good to know if the option's there though.

Cheers

Personally I would not want to go back to no grab, even for just arb work, loading is not a huge pain with slings (although it is a fair bit slower) but unloading a trailer with slings is a real pain, IME.

I just cant imagine operating without a decent grab, its not just loading/unloading sticks . There are dozens of situations where they are a massive time/labour saving tool. Stuffing Hawthorn into the bulker bin for one:thumbup1:

Bob