New Saw

BobbyDee

Me again..haven't posted for at least 2 years and now 2 in one day. My trusty 18" Hitachi CS45EL is dying. It has performed really well over the past 3 years and has never been thrashed and has been lovingly looked after. I have recently been fortunate enough to have been offered some 'woodland management' at a good remuneration but the above saw is now definitely struggling at being asked to cut fallen oak of 18" diameter or more and other similar hardwood. It's just not man enough and is not up to the task. I've researched saw after saw and I'm going round in circles - just when I think I have found the ideal 'pro' saw I find a couple of shite reviews on it. As it seems that I need to spend at least £500 (or do I need to up my amount) I would like to think I'm going to get something that will start, run and cut well and not be too heavy as I'm getting on a bit now, 5kg ish would be a benchmark. It would also be nice if spares were readily available and that it would last for a few years. Am I asking too much? Can Arbtalk forum members point me in the right direction please and tell me which saw to get?

P.S. Definitely do not want tool-less chain adjustment type cack.

Edited by BobbyDee

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my suggestion is bias as all my saws are husky and I have never had a serious problem yet with any of the 3.

Good saws to suit your needs I think would be the husky 555, 550xp or the slightly bigger 560xp.

I have no idea what the Stihl equivalent is but I'm sure some one will be along shortly to advise.

I think all thee would comfortably suit your needs, just depends on how my you want to spend.

Ian

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Your choices are either the husky 545, 550xp (both 50cc), 555 & 560xp (60cc), or the 365 & 372xp (70cc)

Stihl: 261 or 362 (the Stihl 291 and 391 are pants)

Or an older model 346xp, 357xp or 362xp

Stihl: 260/026 or 361, 360 or 036

Or what ever the echo equivalent is...

TCD will suggest dolmar, but euro dolmar have no dealer or parts network in the uk (all has to be shipped from Germany) or a USA import, which are not CE marked, so about as legal to use as a ported saw by HSE standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Me again..haven't posted for at least 2 years and now 2 in one day. My trusty 18" Hitachi CS45EL is dying. It has performed really well over the past 3 years and has never been thrashed and has been lovingly looked after. I have recently been fortunate enough to have been offered some 'woodland management' at a good remuneration but the above saw is now definitely struggling at being asked to cut fallen oak of 18" diameter or more and other similar hardwood. It's just not man enough and is not up to the task. I've researched saw after saw and I'm going round in circles - just when I think I have found the ideal 'pro' saw I find a couple of shite reviews on it. As it seems that I need to spend at least £500 (or do I need to up my amount) I would like to think I'm going to get something that will start, run and cut well and not be too heavy as I'm getting on a bit now, 5kg ish would be a benchmark. It would also be nice if spares were readily available and that it would last for a few years. Am I asking too much? Can Arbtalk forum members point me in the right direction please and tell me which saw to get?

An stihl 261 no later then 08/09 after that not that good or take a look at the new 261 and may be so with the heated handle version:thumbup:

Soz that should have been 260.

On the Stihl side, if you can get your hands on both, I would compare the 260/261 and the 360/361. The latter is heavier, definitely, but will be much quicker through the larger stuff, particularly where it's hard, so it's a trade-off between the extra weight and the extra power. I would try the 260 with a 14" bar and the 360 with a 16" or 18" bar.

Alec