battery operated chainsaws/strimmers/lawnmowers

id9801

Has anyone used either sthil or husqvarna New range of battery operated power tools. Do they have the same power? Are they worth the money? How much use can they take before battery dies? Not sure while there a worth while investment for commercial use because there electric there is allot more to go wrong with them is there anyone who has had experience with these machines yet?

i have used the stihl saw with 14" bar for several months. it works fine and cuts well.i cut up to 8-10" dia. wood.

i would recommend getting two batteries and the quick charger(approx. 30 mins for full charge.)

you can then cut almost continuously.

the hedge cutter,H86 i think, is even better,it cuts really well and seems to drain the battery very slowly.

it is a fairly expensive initial outlay though.

regards,

gerrard meneaud.

you also need to clean out the area round the drive sprocket regularly on the saw as it is prone to clogging up.it is a quick and easy procedure.

i could not comment on reliabilty long term but these two machines have done a fair amount of work and the saw in particular has been somewhat abused but no major problems.

Thanks for your feedback that's one of my main concerns is long term most sthil and husqvarna engine's are easy enough to fix with the right knowledge but because it is electric batteries will die if the is an engine problem you will probably need a whole new machine. I will look a little more into it before I invest and hopefully put a few reviews up for other members because it is quite a dark area I've not really seen much about them.

Regards,

Iain Duncan.

I have the Stihl HLA65 long reach hedge cutter and the Stihl FSA 85 strimmer coupled with a AP180 battery and AL500 charger . The hedge cutter is brilliant, light and easy to use and a battery life of 2 hours. The strimmer is light and easy to use and battery lasts 1 hour which suits me fine as it only takes 20 minutes or less to charge, enough time to have a coffee. They are both ideal for early morning work or work where quietness is a factor. After the initial cost of £175 for the battery and £110 for the charger the running costs are virtually nothing and I will add a chainsaw when one of the motorised ones packs in. I was surprised at the power they both have but do not expect them to match the larger motorised models. I would add that I have the largest battery and the fastest charger available. I think in a few years time they (battery operated) will be the norm. Try one and I think you will be surprised.

I think in a few years time they (battery operated) will be the norm. Try one and I think you will be surprised.

Agreed.

I had a couple of days with the HSA 85 hedge trimmer, laughed when i saw it as it looked like a toy. 5 mins of use and i loved it. We had them on long term demo and they came with 2 batteries of different types, cant remember the ratings on them but lasted well enough.

The first days use I was trimming some small shrubs at an old folks home outside one the residents windows, he opened the window for a chat ( as they do!) and i kept on trimming whilst nattering away to him.

the experience really made me think again about these products, the lack of noise and fumes being the main selling point for me.

:thumbup1: