Inonotus hispidus on ash

pendleton8471

Hi all i have a mature ash tree with Inonotus hispidus on the main stem. There seems to be evidence of the fruiting bodies showing for at least 3-4 year and the timber around has started to decay up the stem but still seems to be quite local around the fruiting bodies area. I now it can be quite effective decay fungus on ash but how fast are we talking just a ruff idea would be really help.

Cheers all

Dave

It can persist on main stems/branches for many years without failure. Depends partly on vitality of the tree, and what sort of forces (eg from overextended branches/sudden increased exposure from nearby tree loss) the infected sections are loaded with.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

that helpful sloth cheers also does the worse decay always stay local to the fruiting bodies or can there be area within the tree with more decay but have no the fruiting bodies local to it? sorry about all the dumb questions just trying to build a better picture of this fungi

Generally it's most advanced near the fruiting bodies, but decay can extend above and below quite extensively. Woodpecker holes are often a good indication of the lower points of hispidus decay; as they like to go in and then up to nest where it's dry.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

I had another good old prod and tap and the decay a lot more developed then first thought. It also has heavy decay with a large cavity/crack on the the main fork at crown break (the bottom red circle) with this limb making up about 50% of the overall crown and also weighted out on the one side heavily on this limb.

The top red circle is were the old fruiting body were found. The tree is on a bank with a fairly busy country lane and b.t line on the other side witch cant be seen in the photos.

The option's i'm thinking are total remove of tree witch i'm not keen on at all. Heavy reduction to take the weight out but I don't think that it would reduce well. Or creating a native stick/poll by bring it down to just over the main fork were it has some point its could be cut back to "nicely":blushing: and making a nice habitat for the birds and beasts.

But all thoughts are welcome.

597669bc17cc3_crack2.jpg.d886c25a92b341148d01cecd6313753c.jpg

597669bc1648d_crack4.jpg.a72ef8cec2b2ef93729c8a2194b7edf1.jpg

597669bc14120_crack1.jpg.20d4215e297c6050c91b9f00d19d9307.jpg

highlighted.jpg.9449a6b997b5e6f983638124872f57d8.jpg

597669bc10f75_highlighted2.jpg.dfb27fc86ca769c2b5fbd0321c3dbf38.jpg

Edited by David Humphries
spelling mistake correction