What saw ?

Xlr177

First off, new to the forum so Hello !!!

I have a question regarding a new saw, I don't use them for work, just cutting up firewood at home to a max of 20", now last weekend my garage got broke into and they cleared me out, stihl chainsaws 2 x ms260 , long reach cutters , strimmers the lot , anyway I was going to get a new saw, but the insurance company is sending me out a 660 as a replacement , now I know it's a beast and a complete overkill, I wanted something around the 65-70cc , was thinking about a 461? I really appreciate opinions ? I'm a chimney sweep and stove installer and want to be able to supply my customers with good wood, so it will be getting a lot of use , but don't want to go over the top

First off, new to the forum so Hello !!!

I have a question regarding a new saw, I don't use them for work, just cutting up firewood at home to a max of 20", now last weekend my garage got broke into and they cleared me out, stihl chainsaws 2 x ms260 , long reach cutters , strimmers the lot , anyway I was going to get a new saw, but the insurance company is sending me out a 660 as a replacement , now I know it's a beast and a complete overkill, I wanted something around the 65-70cc , was thinking about a 461? I really appreciate opinions ? I'm a chimney sweep and stove installer and want to be able to supply my customers with good wood, so it will be getting a lot of use , but don't want to go over the top

HI XLR WELCOME mate get a 461 on a 20" bar is fast BUT if your cutting up large BUTTS you need the 660 mate thanks jon :thumbup:

I think jon (mendiplogs) has one, and he really rates his.

HI HBD yes i have one there good saws JONP on here runs a 25"/18"bar on his 461 and he very happy with it if your doing large butts go for the 660 but it more weight and use more fuel to 461 will do you mate thanks jon :thumbup:

I have a year 2000 046 (the earlier version of the 461) and it is still going strong, a fab saw. It is a good mix of weight and power, light enough to use all day long and yet fast at cutting. A friend has either the 460 or 461 (can't remember which) and that is very similar and he is very happy with his. It is a lot more powerful than a 260 and of course a bit lighter than a 660. A 20 inch bar is easy for the 461. If I hear that a 462 is coming out with lots of electronics, I might even buy a 461 to last me the next x years :) The max bar length for the 046 is 25/30 inches so a 20 inch bar is well in range. I find a 20 inch bar the optimum size for logging up. The 18 inch bar is just a bit too short and the 25 inch bar starts to get in the way a bit.

The Husky recommendations will be coming along soon :)

Firstly sorry to hear about the break in and theft.

Why are the insurance company sending you a saw out?

Shouldn't they just give you a check to buy new ones

If its a maximum of 20" then a 660 is over kill, pop into your local dealers and pick one up, its a lot different than the 260's you have been using!

MS461 sounds like a better bet tbh.:thumbup1:

It's through the AA, they have been a bit of a nightmare, I had a honda petrol pressure washer take as well, because it's a commercial machine they tried to say I was using for work as wasn't going to pay out, the saws you don't get an option for a cheque.

Hi & Welcome,

Sorry to hear of theft, 660 may be to big for what you need but is a great saw for larger wood & as Jon says 461 excellent choice. Once youve sorted out the replacement I would change insurance company as it would seem unfair for the company to decide whats required where a cheque for replacement would be much better.

It appears that getting payouts from insurers is like blood from a stone, my son took ages to get a damaged TV sorted & had to really fight his corner.

Bon chance

N