Living In a Caravan

woodrich

I am leaving the house I was born in 58 years ago.

It was rented by my parents. Then when they had both passed away I took over the tenancy just to save upsetting the old pet cat.

Last week I had to have the cat put to sleep after a short illness so now it's time for a change.

Financially and to save doing the housework I think something like a caravan makes sense. I'm single, no children so I was looking at a 2 berth van to wander round the country in.

A friend has done this for a few years and told me some of the ups and downs.

I would like to ask if anyone here has, or is, living in a caravan full time?

Would you mind sharing your knowledge?

How do you sign up for doctors and dentists too?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Arbtalk mobile app

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make sure its plenty warm and insulated get a stove in, started of my life in a caravan not that I can remember it :lol: but my dad always said there was icicles on the ceiling in winter! its something I have thought about myself since especially when I was living in a poxy wee flat half the size of a static! if only i'd had somewhere to put one

Without some good insulation there are two times of the year when the temperature feels just right; Spring & Autumn.

The winter is very, very cold.... the summer is very, very hot.

With insulation and a wood burner you'll love it. Cheers Steve.

Thanks all.

I have been told about the insulation.

To be honest where I am now is so old it's like throwing fivers on the fire in winter.

No insulation apart from the loft. No damp proof course, double glazing or central heating.

Hell, the floor tiles are lying on earth in one room.

Still it's made me the man I am today :)

Any suggestions for out of the way places to stay?

Lots of forums and blogs about this out there Rich. Some more 'left wing' than others! I've put a lot of thought into becoming nomadic over the last year or so, and its a topic close to my heart.

A permanent pitch can get dodgy with planning laws unless you have a friendly landowner and neighbours. I'd go for a campervan, or if your budget doesn't stretch, it could be cheaper to build your own from a panel van - better for 'stealth' if you do have problems with long term parking too.

This guy has done it since 2011 Living in a Swift Kontiki Motorhome - Living in a Motorhome

SBMCC The Self Build Motor Caravanners Club!

Living In A Motorhome – The 10 Best Things

UK Hippy As I said, a tad to the left. Not really my politics, but once you get past the veganism, some very good stuff on living under the radar in the UK!

Or howabout a Narrow Boat?! How to live on a canal boat

Good luck!

Lots of forums and blogs about this out there Rich. Some more 'left wing' than others! I've put a lot of thought into becoming nomadic over the last year or so, and its a topic close to my heart.

A permanent pitch can get dodgy with planning laws unless you have a friendly landowner and neighbours. I'd go for a campervan, or if your budget doesn't stretch, it could be cheaper to build your own from a panel van - better for 'stealth' if you do have problems with long term parking too.

This guy has done it since 2011 Living in a Swift Kontiki Motorhome - Living in a Motorhome

SBMCC The Self Build Motor Caravanners Club!

Living In A Motorhome – The 10 Best Things

UK Hippy As I said, a tad to the left. Not really my politics, but once you get past the veganism, some very good stuff on living under the radar in the UK!

Or howabout a Narrow Boat?! How to live on a canal boat

Good luck!

always though some of the bigger removals trucks would be good two floors then , if you have the licence for it of course, private hgv only £165 tax too :thumbup1:

this appeals top me could park up take yer living box off fire some pins on and theres your timber truck http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bedford-4x4-TL-Special-Vehicle/291107008052?_trksid=p2050601.c100103.m2451&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140211150826%26meid%3D5691615288716478765%26pid%3D100103%26prg%3D20140211150826%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D281289352493%26clkid%3D5691618962798424791&_qi=RTM1714243

Edited by fergusonforestry

I am leaving the house I was born in 58 years ago.

It was rented by my parents. Then when they had both passed away I took over the tenancy just to save upsetting the old pet cat.

Last week I had to have the cat put to sleep after a short illness so now it's time for a change.

Financially and to save doing the housework I think something like a caravan makes sense. I'm single, no children so I was looking at a 2 berth van to wander round the country in.

A friend has done this for a few years and told me some of the ups and downs.

I would like to ask if anyone here has, or is, living in a caravan full time?

Would you mind sharing your knowledge?

How do you sign up for doctors and dentists too?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Now in my many a year of living under a mobile roof..... Not had any problems!

I run a Vat reg arb business and normal social going on.

Just set it up right at the beginning, its quite easy and fun.

Steve