Chainsaw help

padman

I bought this little chainsaw last week. I eventually got it running but it would just konk out the minute I pressed the throttle and now its cut out completely and will not even start.

It looks brand new although is probably a few years old. Its a Neilson CT2624 25.4 cc saw.

Any ideas what i can try to get it going, I am not great with the spanners but willing to have a go.

Cheers Paul

It's a generic Chinese saw sold under a few different badges. I bought one and it would only run flat out straight out of the box and I had to start from scratch with the carburettor adjustments. It has a Walbro fitted so the instructions are readily available on the net. Turn the H and L screw in till they seat lightly and then turn them out about 1 full turn each, turn the T screw or whatever letter it has in a few turns to speed it up. Check for spark and put a drop of fuel down the plug hole. Pump the bubble 6 or 7 times and pull the choke knob out, pull it over then push the knob in without touching the trigger (fast idle position) and pull it over again. If it doesn't start abandon it and get another, they are only £69 on ebay. ;) If it does start turn the tick over screw out to slow it back down when it is warm and follow a youtube video to set the H & L.

I bought this little chainsaw last week. I eventually got it running but it would just konk out the minute I pressed the throttle and now its cut out completely and will not even start.

It looks brand new although is probably a few years old. Its a Neilson CT2624 25.4 cc saw.

Any ideas what i can try to get it going, I am not great with the spanners but willing to have a go.

Cheers Paul

The problem with these cheap saws is they are....cheap - quality usually comes last when they manufacture them and only the carb and bar are manufactured by mainstream known manufacturers.

That being said, the fuel system is generally at fault in cases like this, that is assuming the piston hasn't been seized at some time in it's life!

So - the first thing is a compression check - 150+ psi is OK, below is bad. You can check the piston by removing the exhaust but on these top handled machines, it is much more involved.

You can try to undo the H & L screw a little on the carb, The only issue is that it probably has splined adjusters and requires a special screw driver - I usually remove the carb, use a the plastic of a crimp connector to remove the screw and slot it with a hacksaw to make adjustment easier!

No easy way in to the uninitiated:thumbdown:

2nd hand? I come across many saws, strimmers and hedgecutters that look brand new and are a few years old, This is because no one reads the manual when they buy these saws from the likes of B&Q and Homebase and just put the petrol that they use for the lawnmower in them. Seized in a matter of seconds and put back in the shed and forgotten about until they are having a clearout.

Remove the exhaust and check the piston for scoring.

Really appreciate all the help, just had another play. Got it to start at least but instantly konks and now will not start again, pulling my arm out so its time for a break. Another look at it tomorrow maybe, when I am a little less grumpy :)

From lawn mowers to chainsaws, airfilter off and a 'thimble-full' of petrol straight into the carb has always worked wonders for me.

Unless I've just been lucky.

Would welcome hearing of any reason not to do this if it's considered a dumb thing to do.

+1 does the trick for me if they fail to start

From lawn mowers to chainsaws, airfilter off and a 'thimble-full' of petrol straight into the carb has always worked wonders for me.

That and warming the plug in a blow lamp flame or on the gas ring but I put the fuel straight in the spark plug hole.