ktm machinery 18 ton log tractor log splitter?

major

Hi, im looking to buy a log splitter and been looking at various different ones, but was wondering if anyone has or has used one of the ktm 18 ton splitters? They seem to be a good price , but was wondering what peoples opinions of them are? Many thanks

Been christening mine (KTM 14T) and it's been ok. I've not used any others to compare it to but it seems to work.

It's happier on green Sycamore and Ash than knarly Lawson and got it to explode some 8 month old knarly Eucalyptus base. I'm running it off a Case 1394 so a reasonable pump and set it to 1000rpm so it sips diesel, turning up the revs doesn't seem to give it much more power, just a quicker stroke speed.

Auto return is handy, you can use it or not, but first of all you'll need to tie the two handle together so you can operate it one handed:sneaky2:.

The 14 and 18 ton models have the four way head which is a bonus and for the money it's a great way to start and if i get a bigger faster machine i'll definately keep it as backup.

If i knew how to upload videos i would do one on the next run.

Regards,

Steve.

OK update, fitter wanted to test a John Deere 6820 he'd been working on so hooked up the splitter......JESUS CHRIST - that's how it's supposed to work!!

Looked up the spec and the pump has three times the flow rate of the Case, but i'm not spending £100K on a tractor to run a splitter.

So it depends what you're running it off :001_smile:

Regards,

Steve.

Steve, fit one of these to the tractor's PTO and get the splitter plumbed into an independent system, the flow rate is not far off the JD.

Hydraulic PTO Gearbox with Group 3 Pump 83.75 l/min ZZ000486 Free UK&EU Delivery | eBay

I remember the older McConnel flail hedgers had a simple make up valve that enabled them to run the pto pump using the linkage pump in parallel, if you do something like this ALWAYS return flow to tank into a zero back pressure point and NEVER via a spool valve. It also should return at a point below the oil level.

The difference between running a flail and the splitter is that the flail always returns the same as what it takes but the splitter will be returning less on the out stroke so the linkage pump would have to supply the difference to prevent cavitation or sucking air.

Assuming constant pumping open circuit system:

circuit.png.de5e31c9345889924e259c520437714f.png

Using0 this means the spool valve should not be a regenerative type.