Decay in 50 year old oak tree

Tommy Noddy

Recently this oak tree outside our house was removed by the power company. Amazingly the branch was almost totally split but had not fallen (onto the power lines and our roof). A lucky escape. I wonder if anyone can tell me what has type of decay has occurred.

The split was concealed by ivy. Many thanks:001_huh:

IMG_3246.jpg.629b168ca3b342f57dde258e5fb00bec.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg.3ce1e428587897473e21ecab35509a34.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg.1409bb6726563493cb83f9cf3a8f1e4f.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg.150f1d2d7779d42c45fbdb1033173b5f.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg.8fed97b795661c3350d0c3f68d178caa.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The branch has split from an included (tight) fork. Included forks are weak areas and are prone to failure. The decay seems fairly superficial to me and unlikely to be a significant factor in the failure in my opinion.

:thumbup:

There wasn't a failure, lucky all around.

How would an insurer deal with damage from a tree like this? The tree is only maintained by the power company when they need to clear the lines. Our landlord never gets his trees inspected. Would they have paid for damage to his roof in a situation like this.? I could sympathise with them if they didn't?! After all why should they insure someone who has no interest in maintaining the tree.

How would an insurer deal with damage from a tree like this? The tree is only maintained by the power company when they need to clear the lines. Our landlord never gets his trees inspected. Would they have paid for damage to his roof in a situation like this.? I could sympathise with them if they didn't?! After all why should they insure someone who has no interest in maintaining the tree.

When you say they have no interest in maintaining their trees, what do you imagine this would involve? There isn't much I would want to be done to a 50 year old oak that looked otherwise healthy. Was the defect obvious while the tree was still standing?

For a claim to be successful, there would have to be an element of negligence on the behalf of the tree owner. This could be through not inspecting, not noticing an obvious defect, not taking appropriate and timely action to make safe the defect.

Edited by Adam M