advice on large qty of oak.

d-raittuk

looking to get some info prices or website on where to get hold of a large quantity of oak for load bearing pillars for a build of a Orangery on the side of a hotel thats been converted into a house.

although i would love to do the build its abit out of my skill set but will be doing the ground works / site clearance.

whats best?

mill on site to spec?

pre made off site ?

whats the best oak to use ?

rough cost

dimensions recommended to load bear.

any one with any knowledge or experience of building with oak and anyone know anyone local to the llanengan (wales) area some pinters would be good thanks.

Find a structural engineer with experience of renovation in old builds.

A mate of mine had to hassle to get a oak beam over an internal opening in a load bearing wall, ended up having to prove it to building control with engineers calculations.

As for the other Q's, I'd would go for cut off site to spec from drawings. Some kind of concrete pad/pile with a stainless pin/leg to join the two.

As for timber, box the heartwood of some slow grown straight English Oak.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Bm trada are a company that offer advise and guidance for anything wood based, for instance we grade beams but to do that we have to be assessed each year by trada. They should be able to guide you in the right direction.

The other thing is to google local sawmills, they will and should know reputable people in the fields you need.

Engineers to erectors they will know good ones and bad ones etc