Ideas on killing this stump

testcricket01

Got asked to quote to fell this willow today easy enough absail down fell it then winch it up with the landy and chip. She then asked me about killing the stump i said we defo cant get a grinder down there, we cant use chemicals because of the river. Only option would be winch it out with the landy but then you risk damaging the building is there a simple answer?

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1376419768.886534.jpg.7c37d08446ee46664b92a817dad9b645.jpg

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1376419820.353253.jpg.7eed053af17419d1a96b23282683767c.jpg

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got asked to quote to fell this willow today easy enough absail down fell it then winch it up with the landy and chip. She then asked me about killing the stump i said we defo cant get a grinder down there, we cant use chemicals because of the river. Only option would be winch it out with the landy but then you risk damaging the building is there a simple answer?

[ATTACH]131895[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]131896[/ATTACH]

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Although you say chemicals are out of the question. What about using ecoplugs in the stump?

Glyphosate is approved near watercourses I believe? Just paint it on neat, or go the ecoplugs route like Matthew suggested

Do any of them lose the effectiveness if the water was to rise so the stump was under water because she told me they open and close the flow most days causing it to be under water

Eco Plugs wouldn't, as they are in the stump, anything you paint or pour on the stump will wash off.

Glyphosate and similar chemicals are designed to be absorbed by the leaves, the best way to ensure a kill would be to spray the foliage with the chemical, wait a few weeks until your sure its dead, then remove.

You could use a pallet wrap type material to seal them once they have been treated. Similar to the clear film which is used in grafting plants. This could solve the waterproofing problem. Don't know the legalities of this, but it should work.

Eco Plugs wouldn't, as they are in the stump, anything you paint or pour on the stump will wash off.

Glyphosate and similar chemicals are designed to be absorbed by the leaves, the best way to ensure a kill would be to spray the foliage with the chemical, wait a few weeks until your sure its dead, then remove.

Would be nice, the reason for removal is to erect scaffolding so it needs doing last week as usual.