MS660 Wont Run - Help Needed Please

Al North

Evening All,

I'm new on here but have been watching from the outside for a while! I have a MS660 which is about 18 months old and it stopped running abruptly at the weekend.

It just stopped - no dramas, no noticable loss of power beforehand, etc and although it restarted it stopped in the same manner a few minutes later and wouldnt restart. After stripping it down on Sunday I found that the piston and pot was badly scored on the exhaust side to the point that the rings were seized in flush with the body of the piston. It is clearly a replacement piston and pot required but I have a couple of questions.

What is a good non-genuine replacement to go for? I dont really want to stretch to genuine parts. Is nikasil plated the way to go?

I'm at a loss as to what caused it. We had another saw running from the same fuel can and it had no problems. Any ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated.

best advise i can give u mate is drop spudulike a pm and send it to him great bloke and can fix anything at a good price

non-genuine pots are the last thing u want to do iv had 3 of them and as spud will tell u iv done a bit of maching on them to get them run like a stihl pot

spud will put u rite mate

just reading into what u posted u many have a air leak on ur 660 witch has made it do what it has done and if u dont find the air leek and put a new pot on it u will be wasting ur money as the same thing will happen again

and as far as nikasil plated pots go thats what stihl coat the inside of there pots with

its just the non-genuine parts are not made to such a heigh standered

spud many be able to get ur old pot upto scrach so u dont have to scrap it

Edited by burrell_

Evening All,

I'm new on here but have been watching from the outside for a while! I have a MS660 which is about 18 months old and it stopped running abruptly at the weekend.

It just stopped - no dramas, no noticable loss of power beforehand, etc and although it restarted it stopped in the same manner a few minutes later and wouldnt restart. After stripping it down on Sunday I found that the piston and pot was badly scored on the exhaust side to the point that the rings were seized in flush with the body of the piston. It is clearly a replacement piston and pot required but I have a couple of questions.

What is a good non-genuine replacement to go for? I dont really want to stretch to genuine parts. Is nikasil plated the way to go?

I'm at a loss as to what caused it. We had another saw running from the same fuel can and it had no problems. Any ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Spud . As above ! :001_cool:

Yes, Martin (Burrell) has given you good advice, there are a number of reasons a saw can fail, lean mix on the carb H screw, air leaks, light on two stroke oil in themix or just old fuel, breather/filter problems.

Just changing the parts without finding the route cause may well lead to the saw seizing again.

I ALWAYS try to salvage the cylinder if I can, the OEM ones are far better made than the Chinese ones, I have done this to a few members saws and all have bedded in nicely - one running a 3' bar and is local to me! I use a decent quality piston in these saws rather than Chinese.

The Chinese kits are good value but would recommend junking the rings supplied and fitting OEM if you do go for that option.

If you fit a new P&C kit or resurect the cylinder, I would strongly recommend pressure testing and vacumm testing to ensure there are no airleaks - this is unrelated to compression checks that test the cylinder to piston integrity. I would also ensure the carb it stripped, cleaned and tuned to the saw with a tach before running up.

PM me if you want to talk about the work and ball park costs etc otherwise, good luck with it!!

You can see saws I have done on the "Whats on your Bench" thread.