At what age would you say you're at your physical best?

Mick Stockbridge

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im 21 and think i could be at my physical best within a year or two if i train and work hard enough.

ALthough it can depend on the individual, some may not become seriously active until after college or university etc so could take 2 years before they are even close and that could make them 23.

Between 18 and 30 your testosorone levels are highest which means strength gains and recovery time from exercise is faster. It drops at 1% a year after age of 30 unless you know how to optimize your hormones through food, exercise and sleep.

Generally speaking most people are at the physical prime up to age of 30...but most people become more efficent in the work and training after 30. :001_smile:

Its like the Murray V Fedderer match thats on just now.

Generally speaking most people are at the physical prime up to age of 30...but most people become more efficent in the work and training after 30. :001_smile:

I think I'd agree with that.

Early 20's I'd be charging flat out at everything without thinking it through quite as much as I maybe do now at 30.

I reckon I'm probably stronger now than I was then but was generally fitter then than now I'd say.

But, I think a fair bit would come down to what actual work you're doing; Early 20's was charging up and down bank sides felling softwood all day or running winch lines out up hill whereas now I might spend a week on the forwarder, a week felling and a week dragging brash or a mixture of all three so vary a bit in comparison.

Leading up to christmas last year we we're rushing to get the rest of a block of Pine flattened before it blew over and were properly going for it. I went into christmas feeling the fittest I had in ages. Last few weeks have been plenty of time off because of weather and plenty of forwarding so feeling sluggish.

Short answer is I don't there is a right or wrong answer to the OP :001_smile:

I'd say mid 20's, 21 is probably a bit young, in rowing my coach always used to say 26 was the peak age.

But it depends on your lifestyle obviously, if you spend your 20's drinking and smoking and then your 30s being a sports fanatic than you'll clearly become a lot fitter :).