Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Lounge Off topic forum. Discuss anything from religion to politics. Please keep it clean.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-06-12   #1 (permalink)

Air rifle

hey,

looking at getting my first air rifle to use up at my grand parents farm, theres a few rabbits and other vermin knocking around up there

i noticed a few people are into there shooting and was looking for some recommendations for a first gun

Cheers Ryan
Old 16-06-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

Re: Air rifle

It very much depends on your budget . If you don't want to spend a lot Chinese made S.M.K. CO2 powered rifles are good value . Its worth spending a little extra sending it off to get fettled by some one like " Welsh Willie " or similar . He will finish it properly and fit better seals and generally get it working more efficiently . ( he is a bit like the "Spud" of the air gun world .) A decent scope and you are away at a fraction of the cost of a top flight piece but with the same accuracy .
Old 16-06-12   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

Air Arms springer or PCP, got two myself, mid budget guns but up to legal power and very accurate.

If you go PCP, factor in a pump or cylinder - you will also need a good scope as decent rifles don't come with open sights nowerdays.

I have a TX2OO and a S300 with custom magazine!

PCP is best as it has zero recoil and can be made whisper quiet with a silencer.

"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?".
Old 16-06-12   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudulike View Post
Air Arms springer or PCP, got two myself, mid budget guns but up to legal power and very accurate.

If you go PCP, factor in a pump or cylinder - you will also need a good scope as decent rifles don't come with open sights nowerdays.

I have a TX2OO and a S300 with custom magazine!

PCP is best as it has zero recoil and can be made whisper quiet with a silencer.
HI LEWIS like spud said it springer or PCP I'm told that air arms s 410 are good PCP for the cash or springer its all down how much your looking to spend mate but you can still have fun with a 50 gun my 1st gun was BSA springer i have a theoben rapid mk11 good gun all the best jon
Old 16-06-12   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member, User formerly known as GTR tool repair, Raffle Sponsor 2012

My first was a BSA super sport. Loved it. Once I got the scope sorted and packed the rear mount up a bit it was lovely.

Mate has a falcon, lovely little co2 gun. Single shot, very light, very compact.
Old 16-06-12   #6 (permalink)

I bought a Chinese side lever made my "Norinco" recently.Apart from the horrific Trigger and cheap sights its powerful enough and supprisingly accurate.

Learn how to shoot with a Airgun and then go for your FAC.
Old 16-06-12   #7 (permalink)

Yes, you dont have to buy brand new - ive had my old webley falcon since the mid sixties and it can still make an old rat jump a foot in the air and drop down stone dead.
Old 16-06-12   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

I have had an SMK for a while, I don't use it much as its so inaccurate... Got my FAC now...

I'd go for a gas sprung one, they are better quality than the conventional sprung ones and you can walk around with them cocked for hours without tiring the spring. I have a friend who has one, can't remember the make but its very accurate and is in .20 cal which is nice for an air gun IMO.

www.tdtreeandlandservices.co.uk
Old 16-06-12   #9 (permalink)

probally looking at around 300 quid all in if i can, dont want anything topnotch!

anyone got a old gun and sight there looking to move on? send me a PM if so
Old 16-06-12   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
I have had an SMK for a while, I don't use it much as its so inaccurate... Got my FAC now...

I'd go for a gas sprung one, they are better quality than the conventional sprung ones and you can walk around with them cocked for hours without tiring the spring. I have a friend who has one, can't remember the make but its very accurate and is in .20 cal which is nice for an air gun IMO.
.20 cal is nice and .22 cal but .177 cal has a higher velocity, better kill in PCP with good scope no recoil helps smooth the shot ,takes out rabbits really well from the back of a bunny basher. I have had good results IMO. Make of rifle is a .177 cal ten shot Harrier Daystate with moderator.