friendly advice

plank_pusher

hi all

i'm new to the forum so take it easy on me

at the moment i'm studying in my second year of level 3 arbor, i've worked with a local arborist on a "as and when" basis and i've learnt a lot

recently at college i feel like im going nowhere and really i'd like to start earning

whats everyones advice, should i stick in at college and burst out my last couple of months or throw in the towel and up sticks for a job?

cheers for reading

I would definetely see your course out , it would be just like the thing that the last few months will be the best . Also you may one day like to work abroad and i've noticed a few of the international arborists saying NPTC's are not recognised but college/university diplomas are . :001_smile:

I'm on year 2 of a level 3 Arb course aswell. This year started off really slow but it's all coming together now and we've just been given a couple of big assignments that brings all our knowledge together. Does your course finish in June? You might as well stick at it because it'll be over before you know it. What college are you at?

Im not a college student, and never have been but my thoughts are to stick it out to the end of the course, get you tickets a nd then you will be more employable. By quitting you may appear to be the sort who will quit as soon as your bored/can't do something, and despite your protestations this may be what employers will think. Good luck :biggrin:

Definitely tough it out, no matter what you end up doing in life, whether it be in the Arb world or elsewhere, you will have a qualification, that vital piece of paper that 'proves' you can apply yourself and stick to a chosen path.

Also don't waste all the time and effort you've put in now.

Hope it all works out.

As an Arboricultural Association Approved Contractor I aim to only employ guys that have had formal arb training AND have the certificate or diploma to prove it. The certificate is no guarantee of a guy being any good of course but it's an indicator. Likewise, there are many brilliant guys out there that don't have formal college certification. On balance though, I'd expect the college guys to have the edge.

I would stick it out you will regret it otherwise I wish I had the option to do an arb course like that but im not in a position to so have had to do things the nptc route ,it will be worth it in the end and as other said its a qaulification thats with you for life well worth staying in there for it :001_smile:

As an Arboricultural Association Approved Contractor I aim to only employ guys that have had formal arb training AND have the certificate or diploma to prove it. The certificate is no guarantee of a guy being any good of course but it's an indicator. Likewise, there are many brilliant guys out there that don't have formal college certification. On balance though, I'd expect the college guys to have the edge.

they may know more latin names etc but if its a 3 year course that puts you three years behind a climber that did his nptc certs experiance is king every time.

if you start something finish it :) doing these course is a gamble as you cant charge more to climb you wont get it, you have to show your good and that can only be taught on the job.

How ever you have more chance of being a consultant etc :))

5 months to go - too late to play the '3 years extra experience' card, so stick with it.

Imagine how you'll feel if one day you get turned down for a great job becuase you quit 5 months early - either becuase you've not got the certificate or you look like a quitter.

No matter what you think, if you quit, you'll never go back to complete the course.

Five months until the end of a three-year course?

Have you heard the one about the channel swimmer who was few miles from the French coast and feeling so tired that he quit the attempt and swam back home.

Come on - you know it makes sense to finish the job.