Petrol in Diesel Engine.

Dax

The mrs managed to put 9 litres of petrol in her diesel vectra. Advised by local vauxhall dealer to fill tank and all should be ok. Filled it up no problems and drove home. Two hours later went to drive car and now wont work.

Any thoughts ?

when u say don't work, do u mean it doesn't fire at all but just cranks over or it fires a bit then stops of runs rough but not for long???

I can't offer any easy answers as usually a diesel will run happily with a little petrol in it, but maybe the cars injection system can't handle to 'thinner' petrol mix and is failing to operate at normal working pressure?:confused1:

Don't take any more advise from that dealer?

Sorry, could not resist.

Petrol does not have the lubricating properties of diesel and can wear the pumps down quite quickly. Especially in a common rail engine as the pumps are built with very small tolerances as they produce such high pressure.

I'm no expert on Vauxhalls though, is it old/new? what engine is in it? How far was it driven?

There could be a sensor telling the ecu not to start. At the pumps you would have started on neat diesel and then run on mix so may have got you home. Or the petrol has killed your pump or injectors due to the extra heat petrol is alot more volatile. A friend of mine was going to a funeral and did the same thing to a golf tdi drove home and we flushed and drained everything. The car now goes better than before. I think its often luck of the draw. Common rail diesels run at alot higher pressures and closer tolerances and tend to be less tolerant of abuse.

Doesn't sound too good. Couldn't say for sure but it sound like the petrol has damaged the fuel system. The petrol will distroy seals and cause components to sieze as it offers no lubrication. Best advice is don't try and start it, may end up doing more damage. The fact that it was running offers some hope, get it to a garage,Hopefully there is a sensor recognising fuel system is contaminated. The fact that the dealer told you to drive it is concerning,don't take it to them!

Sounds like you might have got away with it. I should advise you to drain the fuel still. Seriously it's your call but you may save a lot of money by towing it to a garage or draining the tank and changing the fuel filter asap. It's a modern car and the fuel systems can be expensive.

Edited by Tyz05

my dad had an astra van previous owner filled it with petrol 3 times an it was fine other cars it causes horrendous damage guess its a luck of the draw thing, most older diesels will run ok as long as plenty more diesel than petrol,

military multifuel engines its recomended if neccesary to run on straight petrol adding clean engine oil 1litre/60litre petrol to regain injector lubrication

my dad had an astra van previous owner filled it with petrol 3 times an it was fine other cars it causes horrendous damage guess its a luck of the draw thing, most older diesels will run ok as long as plenty more diesel than petrol,

military multifuel engines its recomended if neccesary to run on straight petrol adding clean engine oil 1litre/60litre petrol to regain injector lubrication

Never thought of splashing some clean engine oil in the fuel. I've seen td5 driven from Bristol to Exeter on nearly neat petrol, no damage done. I've seen others not even make it off the forcourt. If it's still alright come weekend buy yourself a lottery ticket.

i did it once in my old 106 diluted it with diesel and no probs at all. i think it depends if you ran the engine with just petrol in it may do some damage, but if it wasnt run and then diluted with the rest of the tank of deisel it should be fine?? i think some of the modern cars have to much technology in for thier own good, i keep mine old and simple:thumbup1:

hope it all works out:001_smile: