Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Lounge Off topic forum. Discuss anything from religion to politics. Please keep it clean.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-09-11   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013

Best slr camera for around 300?

Morning all, it's my mrs's birthday in a couple of weeks and she really wants a decent slr camera. I'm looking to spend around 300ish, and would like something she can take all her arty photos with! I know nothing about cameras, and any help would be gratefully received.

www.tawandtorridge.com
Old 18-09-11   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Re: Best slr camera for around 300?

When I changed from film to digital SLR, I went to my local camera shop and asked the expert/enthusiasts. I avoided the Curry's of the world and could not be bothered reading a load of magazines. They local buff listened n to what I had to say about what I needed a camera for and what budget I had and gave me honest advice. It may have cost a couple of quid more but I was comfortable with the sales speel.
Old 18-09-11   #3 (permalink)

Pete's advice is spot on.
Alternatively go to similar dealer,& look at second hand,you will get a lot of camera for your money,something like a nikon D80,(I have one & they are still a very good camera).
Go for one that has a low (sub 4000) shutter count,this the dealer can show you,its in the EXIF data on the camera,I would go nikon or canon personally.
Find your target camera,then google it,ie (nikon D80 review),and read more than one of the reviews to get an idea of the highs & possible lows.
Old 18-09-11   #4 (permalink)

I checked out a heap of reviews and asked advice on here when I was looking at buying a DSLR. All the reviews I read always came back to either Nikon or Canon (for the money I wanted to spend). I couldn't make up my mind which was the best so bought myself a Canon EOS1000 and bought the wife the Nikon D3000. Both are pretty similar but I'm absolutely stoked with mine. Whatever you get for that money they'll all be reasonably similar I'd imagine but I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Old 18-09-11   #5 (permalink)

Check out the Canon G11, Better than the G12. Semi-pro compact. 20x zoom 10+ megapixel. takes a 16gig card. All the camera you'll need. Been borrowing one for a few weeks. Awesome pics and not too much delay on the shutter. Amazon 270
Old 18-09-11   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2011

Spend a bit more and get a canon 500D a real good camera trying myself to save my penny's for one. As said get into Jessops and speak to the geeks and see one working you won't be disappointed.
To be honest sub 500 DSLR have there limits IMO and after a while you would be wanting something better.

Printed on all fire log and charcoal packages: Caution! Risk of Fire!
Old 18-09-11   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Jenks View Post
Check out the Canon G11, Better than the G12. Semi-pro compact. 20x zoom 10+ megapixel. takes a 16gig card. All the camera you'll need. Been borrowing one for a few weeks. Awesome pics and not too much delay on the shutter. Amazon 270
Had both,still got the g12,nothing between them in my opinion,the zoom is 5x optical,then you zoom digitaly after that(efectively cropping the image).
These are great compacts with DSLR like controls,& you can buy filter adapters to take telefoto lenses/close up filters(achromatic ones are good quality).you wont get low light high iso pics of the same quality as a DSLR,nor a shutter delay fast enough for sports shots without a bit of planning,but a great little camera.

Heres a link to some G series pics,& a few nikon D80 ones to look at for image quality.

Click on an image & it will tell you in the top left which camera was used.

Flickr: geoff321's Photostream
Old 18-09-11   #8 (permalink)

looking at getting a Dslr when i go to KL at christmas,Just not sure which yet,As im a beginner to using Slr's

Are there any good photography forum's?
Old 18-09-11   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2010, 2011

Some real nice pics there geoff like the insects and the old coins.

Printed on all fire log and charcoal packages: Caution! Risk of Fire!
Old 18-09-11   #10 (permalink)

I think the second hand route is a good one also, most people really look after their cameras and only sell them on when they are up-grading. I think you should be looking at Nikon or Canon. My preference is Nikon.

tree surgeon kent http://www.abouttrees.co.uk