The weather and dangerous" trees

swinny

Hi there,

Quick querie/ conformation.

Just been and looked at a pear tree that is in a conservation area, there is some deadwood in the tree, some bark falling off etc but worse of all there is a problem with the root plate, and this weather has made it considerabily worse. There has now developed a few holes in the ground around the base of the tree and the root plate has a lot of movement.

As said this tree is in a conservation area, it is at risk of blocking a road, knocking a wall over, if it went the other way it would damage a porch/windows/roof and maybe telephone lines.

To me i see this as imediate danger thus i am allowed to remove this tree straight away? Should i have to ring the council/inform them? If the winds get up more, i'd be surprised if it is still up in the morning, when i plan to remove.......

What would happen if "a" tree was tpo'd but deemed dangerous, would works/removal still be allowed to be carried out without contacting the council? if said to be an imediate danger

just after some clarification :001_smile:

Cheers

Dead or dangerous means you can proceed as 'exempt works'

Make sure you take some photos though.

Email the tree officer immediately to notify him and leave a very brief message on his answer phone.

After the work is done, email him with details of what and why, attach the best two or three photos. Keep all the photos and correspondence.

Oh, and charge your client 20K, just in case.

Dead or dangerous means you can proceed as 'exempt works'

so this applies to both tpo and con area

i know i'm justified in removing this one so just wanted to clarifie :)

will be taking picks of the holes due to root plate movement, dead bark etc and any others i need

Cheers :)

I thought fruit trees were exempt from TPO's and Con Areas?

Nope not exempt, if grown for good hort ie the production of fruit may not be expedient to tpo them and there are some pruning exemptions if they fall under that description.

And

The exception is under a bit of law where you would be guilty until you prove you are innocent, so keep the officer informed, take photos vids etc.

and a long time ago i became moor and moor of the opinion that dangerous trees in the wind you should protect people and let it fall a persons life life moor important than the tree breaking a wall.