Dyslexia

Stephen Blair

Hi guys, i am looking for some advice and input. I really struggle with taking in information when reading, i can read ok but i just seem to scan over stuff and never remember what is on the page, i very rarely read anything because it never stays in my head.

Organising things is a nightmare for me, if it is very regimental i am fine, if not i just get really stressed and irritated. At work i am fine, everything where i want it to be, a place for everything, at home its a nightmare to concentrate if there are piles of stuff lying about and i cant easily get to stuff i want. I am better now with an iphone, i canmake notes and set reminders, before i would forget stuff and carrying a big folder about all the time just doesnt happen, and then i would forget the folder and the pen lol.

I have been searching for an answer to my ways and problems for a while now and after talking to my brother last week he really hit on a few chords with me, he is very slightly dislexic but the complete opposite, really messy and untidy and to me seems very disorganised but to him its exactly where he wants it. He called his ways caoitic, so he doesnt get stressed because his whole life is that way, if someone throws me a curveball, my mind goes blank and all i can think of is the job in hand, and if i get side tracked, i get worked up because i cant stop thinking about the thing i was meant to do.

i watched a program about a girl from eastenders, (Dawn) and it was about her dislexia and apart from the actual reading her scatty lifestyle just reminded me of my ways, my worst nightmares are maps, signs, airports, trains. I never use public transport because i can't work out what to get on .

I know a few guys on here have mentioned being dislexic before mainly about their spelling, but do any of the things i have mentioned ring a bell.

All this started with me when i was 30 the minute my wife told me she was pregnant, i have also read somewhere that adults can get dislexia even if they were not born with it.

Looking forward to your replies, Stevie:001_smile:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

steve, i have dyslexia and dyscalcula and i would say that i am organised disorganised (if that makes sense). I'm the same in that everything has to be regimented and if anything crops up unexpectedly, i'm completely flummoxed as to how to cope with it. i just take a deep breath and try to prioritise everything or i sometimes just breakdown and have to go sit in a corner for a few minutes to sort my brain out. I know this isn't what you were looking for but i know how you feel so will be watching this thread very closely and thankyou for posting it as i dont think i would have the guts to start a thread like this due to low confidence.

I think that it can effect different people in different ways mate. Do you know anything about how people learn different things? Can be quite interesting when you can apply it. My Dad used to turn the TV on to read the newspaper. Some people need to have background noise to function, some people can only work in complete silence. If you find out how you learn best, you can remove the things that are stopping you and concentrate on what you want.

Tom

James, you say you have low confidence, say it enough and you will think it. You are the first to reply and i have seen you at every show i have been to, you always make a point of saying hi and joining in, you have more confidence then you give yourself credit for, tell yourself you can and you will.

Thanks Tommy, i have started trying diferent ways to keep new stuff in my head, old stuff is easy, if i have had the experience i can relate to similar, thats why all my info is a story lol, on the program with Dawn(sorry cant remember her real name) she was taught how to remember things better, by movement BUT unfortunatley i was too busy looking at her to take any notice of what the lady was saying to her:blushing::biggrin:

i think that this is stress related, do you take things in when you read things that your interested in ie. books on trees , hobbies ect? steve it sounds like you are a creature of habbit and routine the same as anyone who runs a buissenes you need organisation and especially if you are the bread winner for a familey, as for trains maps travel , lots of people suffer from the thought of" messing up " on that side of life i was ages before i would travel and how can i put it," step out of my comfort zone" i think experients and repetition play a huge part in learning!

my father has dyslexia , his father suffered from it and i had how can i say it learning difficulties, my father and i run a farm and run it well , on the strengths that we have!!

hope this helps mate you have done a very brave and honest thing asking for advice .

dave fox

Have you tried reading text with coloured transparencies over the top. My brother had these for his dyslexia. I had a go using them when I was at school just for amlaugh and found it helped me read as I am one of those people that reads the same line over and over again. Also I find it easier to read and take in White on black. Certain apps will let you change the format to do this. Hope this helps

I don't know how much you know about how people learn mate but there are 3 catagories that you can fall into. Visual, Seeing something, Auditory, being told about something or "Doing" having a go yourself.

If you can work out what your favourite way of learning is you can learn how best to pick things up. As you said, if you scan words and struggle to take them in, you are less likely to be a visual type person. eg, If I just gave you a set of instructions on how to build a tv cabinet, you might stuggle, but if you were allowed the tools and equipment to have a go yourself, you'd be able to do it no problem.

Most dyslexic learners don't like to use the visual links and as a result are more often than not, more practical and like the "doing" part of things better.

If you are unsure of which one of the three you are, you can often work it out from the subconcious language. Do you say "I see what you mean" (visual). "That sounds about right" (auditory) "That feels about right" (Doing)

It can be quite interesting when you look into it.

I'll go into the story part tomorrow if you are interested, but its late now and Mrs Tommy B wants me to go to bed!!

Tommy

hazzy they sound like overlays for scotopic sensitivity syndrome which some dyslexics suffer from including myself although i used the glasses which are made by a firm called Irlen Lenses. These do help although i have stopped wearing mine as they cost a hell of a lot of money as the lenses are tinted to a very precise shade.