Suzuki Jimny

TRADITIONAL LOGGERS

The sunshine is blazing and a blue sky with the birds singing in the bushes looks like spring is due.

I am looking for a small economical 4x4 work vehicle and at 2pm this afternoon going for a test drive in a new Suzuki Jimny. How do these compare to a Land Rover 90 (2.4 Diesel) and the Fiat Panda 4x4 (Petrol/Diesel)for work?

There is a diesel version which is the Renault engine but not sure if available in the UK as RHD?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've had a jimny for the Wife for around 5 years and it's been mostly great (it's getting some miles on and is 11 years old now so it's starting to have a few little problems).

They are really quite robust despite their looks, and will go places off road in standard trim that most other 4x4's wont - ours is on A/T's and it just seems to float across boggy bits.

If you aren't looking to carry a lot of kit or tow then they aren't bad at all.

I've seen the diesel ones abroad but yet to see one in the UK - don't know why they don't bring them in as they'd probably sell really well.

economical - hardly - my 300 90 does similar to the jimny and the 200 disco does a good bit more.

We have had figures similar to what suzuki suggested a couple of times but only a couple and also driving very, very staedy.

I knew somone with a 4x4 Suzuki Ignis (petrol). He wanted an economical drive with a bit of offroad capability (Dartmoor tracks / Building sites, etc) turns out it did about 32mpg on average, so he may as well have spent the money on a half decent 90 / Discovery instead.

they are the dogs danglies if you are looking for a very light 4x4, i see them being used on the landy trials and the only reason they don't win is the owners are usually scared of scratching their 56plate motor on the gorse, will fit through any gap between trees and given decent tyres are good in mud. i saw one today (owned by a local garage) being thrashed mercilessly and it seemed pretty quick (much quicker than its predecessor SJ413)

Get the Landy mate, worth every bit of the extra money and far superior than both the mentioned above.

:)

I was thinking of changing my mitzy pinin, always think of a landrover, had a s3 15 years ago which I loved... Had a 5 min ride in a defender last week and remembered what it was really like......

Loud, slow and uncomfortable....

I don't need to tow 3.5 tons over a muddy mountain very often and we have a 4wd tractor when we do! :001_smile:

there brill for a light 4x4 great fun . i have seen them go where landys couldnt! mainly beacuse there about a ton lighter. a friend of mine had one loved it off roaded it a fair bit .now in the last week we have just fitted a land rover tdi200 in the front of it ! body to go back on in a few weekends time .