Introducing a new pup to a grumpy Lab.

Andy Collins

I'd like to buy a Patterdale x Jack pup, but I have one grumpy, anti-social 10year old Lab dog. Can anyone suggest a way of introducing a pup in such circumstances? I realise he'd have to adjust, and the pup would be lower in the pack order, but my gut feeling is that the Lab would choke on the small bones.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how anti social is your lab?

when you get the puppy make sure its early in the day, let the two meet for the first time in a neautral location i.e. field, park not your house!! then take them both back. you dont want to protect the new pup by keeping him/her on your lap it needs to learn its place in the pack and if it gets told off by your other dog then so be it. will ask my mrs wot she thinks when she gets back from the vets (shes a gundog trainer, behaviourist) wot she thinks and wot ive missed!

TBH andy I think you would find that there would be no problem. Adult dogs see pups as 'no go' areas as far as aggression is concerned. The usual outcome is that either your grumpy lab will surprise you and be really nice to pup, possibly even rejuvinating the lab, or the lab will just basically ignore the pup, with a few well timed f-off growls. I cant think of an occasion where i have seen an adult dog attack a pup.

From experience i would say that the grumpy one will know that the pup is a pup , ie very young and vunerable . I would be surprised if the older one attacked the pup , but would give him/her some nice warning barks and growels with plenty of teeth baring .

We went through this when we got our now 8 yr old Doberman .Our other dog was 17 and very grumpy .The Dobe was jumping all over him , chewing his feet , tail , ears , nose etc .All he did was give her a loud bark in the ear that sent her running . She did wind him up for a good few weeks until he had had enough and gave her a real teeth baring and nasty growl that put her in her place .After this she was as good as gold and wouldnt leave his side .They became best buddies and she was devastated when he passed away a year later .

We believe she lifted his spirits and we were lucky to get anothe year with him :thumbup1:.

I must say that i love the Patterdale terriers and very nearly got one as a friend for our Dobe a few years back .But Mrs Sniffy put a stop to it .

Also try and see if you would be able to take your dog along to meet the pups on a 1-1 basis to see how yours gets on with them .That way you might find that Grumpy dog gets on with one better than another .

If you do get one , i would love to see some pics :thumbup:

Cheers Mark

( Tommer posted what i said in shorter terms as i was typing lol )

Edited by Sniffy
Addedbit .

Tommer, thats the exact thoughts I had. Years ago we had several dogs, and a new pup would be put in its place by the older dogs just as you say. Our current dog has been the only dog here all his life, so my concern is that he'll rule the roost, though he'll probably just teach it to guard the gate, chase helicopters and dig worms out of the garden.

Yes Steve, I have a litter to choose from if I wish.

he'll probably just teach it to guard the gate, chase helicopters and dig worms out of the garden.

:lol::lol:

BTW are you getting a bitch or a dog......coz if you get a terrier bitch your labs life will be over.....they are little buggers that HAVE to be in charge!!