How did you get into ARB

chuck norris

Honestly, Tommy?

Ha ha. Sadly not. Although my Mum says I'm handsome. *

Real story, knew I didn't want to do an office job, didn't like being indoors etc. Found a course, loved it, did tickets and then went out into the big wide world showing off some sub standard tree work. Always loved the climbing equipment (magpie syndrome) and ropes so taught myself to splice rope and do that as a hobby.

*If anyone does want some modelling work doing. Let me know. Reasonable rates

Edited by Tommy_B

I complained to my brother in law that I was bored flying a desk at a Computer Company. He ran his own lawn mower repair business and suggested I might like to go mow one of his customers gardens as the old chap was finding it heavy going, turned out to be 1 acre with an old 21"" Roller luckily self propelled. As we all have said the rest....was brilliant I'm now retired.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Arbtalk mobile app

I used to work in IT for a gigantic insurance company. One day, shorthly after we were taken over by an even bigger (and very arrogant) company based in Norfolk - I saw John Cooper's team reducing some large trees and stump grinding . I saw that as a fun alternative to all the political dung we were shovelling.

Atthe age of 40 something I took loads of leave, volunteered myself to a couple of local companies on a part time basis and put myself through the CS courses.

My colleagues said I was mad. But as soon as we were offered excellent redundancy deals they all told me how lucky I was to have something else to go into.

I used my pay-off to pay cash for most of the stuff I needed, then just grew from there.

Never looked back.

After losing everyone and everything, I realised that there wasn't much future in heroin addiction so

I went to a place called BETEL, got clean and decided to stay on and help others with the same issues find freedom.

Betel put me through my tickets CS 30-41 and LOLER.

Now I work full time for Betel and among other things I run the tree team.

I climb most days and despite getting into it later in life I can take on most jobs and have a growing passion for it. [emoji106]

Timon.

• Like 1

Took me 25 yrs as a cop in London to realise there was no satisfaction. After the first of 3 sons qualifed I thought hmmm....looks good. Did some tickets, spent a load on gear for less pay & much harder work. Satisfaction, enjoyment & feeling of 'worth'? Oh yes.