Moral dilemma and a way to say sorry

Thesnarlingbadger

I have recently done a job I which there were some over hanging branches into next door. Now the quote was to reduce the height of said Laurel and trim back customers side, all nice and straight forward (or so I thought). On the day of the job there was a kid playing next door, this child is extremely autistic and uses the area where the branches were hanging over as a den.

While we were carting out the job the kids carer asked if we were cutting any of the overhanging branches off to which the reply was no (as this was not quoted for and it wouldn't affect the aesthetics of the job).

Later on my customer (an old lady) asked to see what they wanted kept, so I showed her. She then said she wanted them all cut back so the kid couldn't play on them as she was worried he might hurt himself and sue. I explained that this would cost more and she started to cry and make me out to be a bit of a nasty person. So I agreed to cut it all back for free as I didn't want the hassle, so we did. However I explained to her that a couple of branches were left on as on was supporting some steps and the kids den and another as holding a hammock up.

The kid was devastated and before we actually cut the branches back I spoke to his mother to apologise, who has enough on her plate without this added stress, she thanked me for speaking to her first and for leaving just a couple of branches.

The next day I revived an email from the customer externally angry with a picture showing what was left, she wants the branches off no questions.

I don't want to do it but also do not want the bad press at this early stage in my business and she seams like a woman that will go all out to write bad reviews.

So I'm fought between a rock and shard place. I've agreed to do it but have said I will speak to the autistic boys mother first.

Now this whole situation has got me stressed out and upset as it is going to really upset this young lad but I'm just wondering if maybe some kind of peace offering may help the situation. I thought I may build him a little den or get a tree for him to plant and watch grow. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I feel like a horrible person.

I'm just trying to keep the peace and am kinda confused how I ended up in this whole situation in the first place.

Thanks people.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats sounds pretty awkard, maybe you could try to get the neighbour around to your client and have a little meeting with all 3 of you, the neighbour can explain how important the branches are for her son and maybe then the client will understand that she has nothing to worry about in terms of being sued.

At the end of the day its not your fault, you have been asked to do a job and your instructions are to cut the overhanging branches. Either you please your client or you please the neighbour which means you might get a bit of bad press.

Offering a small tree to the niegbour would be a very kind, above and beyond gesture but I dont think going to the extents of building den would be appropraite as its not your fault.

I think this probably shows some weakness in the quotation stage of this operation. I have, and I am sure many have, been caught out like this. You quote for one thing and then after wards the customer comes out and cracks on how they thought your were doing something different. It is really important to list every detail in the quote including pictures and diagrams so that you are sure every one is on the same page. If they accept the quote then you have something to fall back on. Sorry I know this does not help your situation now bit hopefully in the future.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Arbtalk mobile app

I think this probably shows some weakness in the quotation stage of this operation. I have, and I am sure many have, been caught out like this. You quote for one thing and then after wards the customer comes out and cracks on how they thought your were doing something different. It is really important to list every detail in the quote including pictures and diagrams so that you are sure every one is on the same page. If they accept the quote then you have something to fall back on. Sorry I know this does not help your situation now bit hopefully in the future.

I get what your saying and in most cases it would not have been an issue. The customer even said I have never been back there so how would I know, isn't it obvious that you should cut this back. It was as I thought as straight forward as work can get. The quote was not the issue, she just decided that that was going to be done and that was that :-/.

Thats sounds pretty awkard, maybe you could try to get the neighbour around to your client and have a little meeting with all 3 of you, the neighbour can explain how important the branches are for her son and maybe then the client will understand that she has nothing to worry about in terms of being sued.

At the end of the day its not your fault, you have been asked to do a job and your instructions are to cut the overhanging branches. Either you please your client or you please the neighbour which means you might get a bit of bad press.

Offering a small tree to the niegbour would be a very kind, above and beyond gesture but I dont think going to the extents of building den would be appropraite as its not your fault.

I've asked then to talk but the customer won't even speak to them, she hates the kid and I don't think she understands what autism actually is (she just thinks the kid is load and a nasty piece of work).

I think you may be right about building him a den, I may just be a soft touch. I just feel awful about upsetting this lad so much.

Thanks for the input it's appreciated.

Well you can't win them all but, easy in hindsight, you could have taken pictures and had them in the quotation. But as I say easy in hindsight and not saying I may not have ended up in the same situation. Hopefully you find away to keep all parties happy. Good luck

Cheers, it's appreciated. As it's only a small job taking pics of everything on every job would have been too time consuming (or maybe not).

I think the issue is I don't really agree with the customer but am panicking a bit that I'll get a bad rep.

The lad I was working with thinks she may be playing the old fragile lady card to through her weight about.

Live and learn I guess.

Sounds like a horrible customer! I bet most people who know her probably knows she's a nnightmare so probably won't pay too much attention to her if she start complaining. You can't please everyone - as long as most of your customers are happy you will be fine reputation wise