Fishing addicts?

Big J

Wondering if anyone else out there suffers (is that the right word?) from angling addiction?

Fished a lot as a kid, had a break in my late teens and early to mid twenties. The bug has properly bitten again and I spend all my time either fishing, or thinking about going fishing.

I'm a multi discipline angler too - love close to medium range pole fishing, pike fishing, trout angling, spinning, deadbaiting, river fishing, lake fishing and so on. Not that keen on sea fishing though, I'll admit.

So if anyone in the Edinburgh area wishes to go fishing at some point, give me a shout!

This last few months have been a touch quieter (good thing) which has allowed the guys to start doing more of the actual milling at the yard. Less need for me to be there so taking a bit more time off and going fishing. After 7 years of stupidly long hours and little time off I don't feel too guilty!

You should start again though. It's a rare thing now to have peaceful time off, outdoors and without staring at a screen.

I used to do a lot of what you are not so keen on Big J . Wreck fishing was my thing . Motor out and feather for some mackerel on the way out Switch on the Ferograph when at the wreck . Drift the wreck over with pirks . Winch up Ling , Cod , Pollack etc . Anchor up at slack water . Fish in the wreck for the Conga . Drift again on the out going tide . More Ling , Pollack and Cod . Motor home and sell most of the fish put some in the freezer .

Salmon , trout and pike in that order ... totally obsessed ! first Salmon smashed a 1.1/4 test curb barbel rod at only 14lbs have progressed on to flys for them since ,best way to spend a summers evening wading in a river and taking in the surroundings And wild life... well keeps me out the pub these days any way.

Stubby and Matty, you're both in the perfect parts of the country to your respective loves! I grew up in Derby and mostly fished the River Derwent and it's tributaries. A very diverse range of fish in it, hence the broad spectrum of angling interest! Being 100 miles from the coast, sea fishing was never really on the cards!

Stubby and Matty, you're both in the perfect parts of the country to your respective loves! I grew up in Derby and mostly fished the River Derwent and it's tributaries. A very diverse range of fish in it, hence the broad spectrum of angling interest! Being 100 miles from the coast, sea fishing was never really on the cards!

Under stood Big J . Wreck fishing is not very subtle . :001_smile:

I've been a way off shore for cod once in Denmark as a kid, but I didn't find is desperately exciting. I like the sometimes intimate nature of freshwater fishing, where watching the fish take your bait/lure is very possible. I've had quite a few decent sized pike and brown trout take wobbled deadbaits right under my rod tip. Exciting stuff!

Definitely a chub there! Nice bag of roach too. I'm at the local trout fishery tomorrow which has thousands and thousands of roach. Mostly tiny, but the odd clunker (had one at 1lb 5oz a few weeks back). Plenty of trout too, which are great fun on the pole (several browns over 5lbs on the pole in the past few months).