RIP Steve Hewlett.

skyhuck

Any radio 4 listeners will be sorry to hear of the sad death today of Steve Hewlett, presenter of the Media Show.

He was only 58. He was diagnosed with cancer of the oesophagus last year.

He has given many interview Eddie Mair on PM while he was undergoing treatment.

I found his attitude and out look very inspirational and his honesty very moving.

I'm sure the interview will be available on Iplayer for anyone interested.

I came across one of his early chats with Eddie on Radio 4 one afternoon almost as soon as they began and have followed them religiously up to today. Can honestly say I have sat with a tear in my eye on more than one occasion and found it spellbinding.

I think its probably the best bit if radio broadcasting I have listened to on any station, any time, anywhere.

A sad loss.

He did, about two weeks ago.

It's been the most moving radio broadcast I've ever heard.

Is it two weeks already, how time flies.

He had such a great attitude right from the diagnosis. He was only upset for the pain he saw in the faces of his loved ones when he told them.

Reminded me of a friend of mine who died of the same cancer aged 69, he said the worst part was telling people.

I didn't catch last week's or today's but generally listened as I was driving home. It sounds like he went downhill fast in the end as the last I heard he was partway through a cycle and it looked like his liver was not getting worse.

I found it very hard. Dad died of cancer 10yrs ago, 6mnths after diagnosis and 2mnths after his 60th birthday. Listening to the interviews brought back a lot of thoughts and there were many parallels. The thing which he achieved (and we failed to get) was absolute honesty about the position and projections as to how things were likely to progress. I remember finally talking to a young doctor in Guy's who was prepared to answer straight questions and being told that Dad probably had around a fortnight to live - the previous day Mum had been given vague statements and intimations that the treatment might be working and several months was a likely timeframe. Steve Hewlett's clarity did not make easy listening but the brutally honest, no holds barred style was compulsive and far more accurate than seems to be the normal NHS style.

RIP Steve

Alec