New works vehicle - help me out?

djbobbins

Okay, before I start, I know I'm in a lucky position to be able to choose a new car, however I work hard, do a reasonable amount of business miles and it's a bit of a park too. Plus, the taxman makes a fair whack out of it, so...

I am coming up to the end of my lease period on the current company car, a Skoda Yeti Greenline Elegance trim (1.6 turbo diesel, leather seats, dual zone climate control etc).

I have to pick another car, or opt out of the scheme, take a cash allowance and buy something. I've ruled out doing the latter as whilst the numbers work (just about) I like the fact that on a company car if I get a cracked screen, nail in a tyre etc it's not my risk. So of all the cars I have looked at, I am down to two choices:

1) Skoda Octavia hatchback, 1.6 Greenline SE Technology trim, with winter pack (heated seats and screen).

2) Kia Niro 2 1.6 petrol / hybrid, with advanced driver assist pack (adaptive cruise control and bits).

Over the lease period, taking into account tax effects, likely real world fuel economy and the lease fee, these will cost me almost exactly the same.

The Skoda has the advantage of being able to have a towbar fitted (no towing capacity in the Kia, as confirmed by Kia UK despite what it said when they were launched) which I'll use for towing about twice a year and mounting a bike carrier to.

The Niro is a bit less proven but when I test drove one over the weekend, I was impressed with the hybrid system and the oomph the battery gives, plus I've got a bit of a dodgy knee following a tug of war injury years ago, so the fact that it's an automatic appeals. However the boot is a bit smaller than I'd like and the lack of towbar is frustrating, although we can get one fitted to the wife's car instead.

So both are nice, shiny and new, but neither really float my boat. The Skoda is probably more practical but I just feel that if I get it, I will look at it every day and feel like I've given up.

If anyone's got any experience or thoughts, please feel free to shout!

Yes, mainly just driving, sometimes with a couple of passengers. I do about 22,000 miles a year, which is typically quite a lot of "not sparing the horses" A road driving, with the occasional 300-400 mile daily round trip to visit one of our operational sites or customers.

We also tend to do a driving holiday to Europe in which we'll cover 2,500 miles or so in a fortnight, with the wife and two kids plus luggage.

They say it can't tow?

Yup, I'd seen that too (and also that in Belgium, Kia dealers sell towbar kits) - but I've asked the question twice of Kia UK and on both occasions (over the phone and then via email) they've said the UK model has no towing capability, nor do they have any plans to add it - apparently it involves updating the brakes (?) and they don't believe there is any demand for the Niro to be able to tow. So yeah, nobody buys an SUV to tow with - wtf?!

So both are nice, shiny and new, but neither really float my boat. The Skoda is probably more practical but I just feel that if I get it, I will look at it every day and feel like I've given up.

Your going to be spending a shed load of time in it, get something you can enjoy. I was using a VW caddy for quoting and it was fine, but I was spending more and more time in it and decided I wanted something a little more comfortable and could get the kids in.

As it is seen by many clients the image had to be right. A 4x4 is probably the right look but too thirsty with high mileage, the average hatchback didn't give the professional feel. I went for a mini clubman which looks a bit different from all the others, came in green, does 70 mpg (according to the book) is fun to drive and ticks most of the boxes..

The skoda is probably the most practical solution, but will you enjoy it..? My wife called me a boring old fart when I told her my options before we settled on the mini. Depending how you want to appear to your clients I would consider buying something a few years old as you could probably get a premium brand, Audi or Merc for the sort of money you have to spend...

Edited by benedmonds

Your going to be spending a shed load of time in it, get something you can enjoy. I was using a VW caddy for quoting and it was fine, but I was spending more and more time in it and decided I wanted something a little more comfortable and could get the kids in.

As it is seen by many clients the image had to be right. A 4x4 is probably the right look but too thirsty with high mileage, the average hatchback didn't give the professional feel. I went for a mini clubman which looks a bit different from all the others, came in green, does 70 mpg (according to the book) is fun to drive and ticks most of the boxes..

The skoda is probably the most practical solution, but will you enjoy it..? My wife called me a boring old fart when I told her my options before we settled on the mini. Depending how you want to appear to your clients I would consider buying something a few years old as you could probably get a premium brand, Audi or Merc for the sort of money you have to spend...

That's about hit the nail on the head, the Skoda is more practical but I think every time I walk up to it / get in, I will feel like I've missed out on something more interesting. I can opt out of the scheme but company rules say that any vehicle has got to be less than 5 years old, so I couldn't get a premium car and pay the finance off within that timescale - it'd mean buying something like a 9 month old Vauxhall Meriva.