Colloquial Turn of Phrase

TGB

I was recently involved with a temporary shop fitting. (Temporary, as the place is owned by a property developer. Who has loaned the shop front to a charity, to advertise their work, until the property is either sold or let.) The director of the charity said, "The shop will probably need a holiday." When I asked what they meant by 'holiday', they replied, "A clean and tidy-up."

Has anyone heard of the phrase 'holiday' to mean the above? The person was originally from Malvern, until they left for uni in Durham. I've had a look but can't find any reference to said colloquialism in such a way.

Edited by TGB

Heard similar phrase years ago from an old chargehand who used to be involved with the unions. So it might have come from their patter. This was in a factory and he was going on about the floor needing a holiday. At the summer shutdown I spent many an hour with what seamed an endless supply of floor paint.

Find this one comes in handy

Dreckly

An unspecified time in the future. If someone says that they will do something for you “dreckly,” do not hold high hopes of them doing it anytime soon. “Dreckly” could mean tomorrow, or more likely next week or even next year.

Ireland is packed with them. Just of the top of my head:

Shkin (skin) "What kind o' shkin is he?" (what kind of person is he?

Blackguarding (malicious mischief) "Looks like some blackguarding's been going on here"

Shower (of c*nts) "The government? - That shower?"

After many years of working alongside the Irish I have at last realised that a "Yolk" can be/mean just about anything :)

Pass me that yolk ; hammer,shovel,tape pickaxe,flask,teacup,.....................................................:)

Bob

Edited by aspenarb