What changed

eggsarascal

When I was growing up in Seventies and Eighties most mums stayed at home to bring up the family, this meant dad earned enough money to keep the family. We went on holiday a couple of times a year and did the usual stuff that families did. Nowadays it seems most everyone I know go to work (men and women) and still seem to be struggling.

So what changed and when?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jomo. You always remind me off Roger Irrelevant.

Wibble

To answer the OP.

People are more aspirational. They want stuff, not having the stuff that they're friends/family have is lame.

Add in the rise of the working woman, who can earn as much as the man and is no longer content with just being a housewife.

These aren't the definitive answers, just factors IMO.

IMG_1260.jpg.0df9ee9299586dfa6948d39c1a89ae8d.jpg

I get the bit about us all wanting things and wanting them now.

This is what got me thinking. Mum and dad had an extension built in the early Seventies, then in the early Eighties they had central heating and double glazing fitted. Where did the money come from?

The one and only time they had finance (apart from a mortgage) was when dad got himself a new car in 1984 (A reg).

Money must have gone a lot further in those days, or am I missing something?