Serious virus...

TimberCutterDartmoor

Seem to have a well embedded bug in the PC; googled US presidents a week or so ago and landed all sorts of crazy programs. Ran all my own Anti-virus yada yada yada, also tried E-set online scanner which finds the infected file but not long afterwards crashes... Avast does nothing.

Any advice or recommended progs to decontaminate?

Many thanks.

Seem to have a well embedded bug in the PC; googled US presidents a week or so ago and landed all sorts of crazy programs. Ran all my own Anti-virus yada yada yada, also tried E-set online scanner which finds the infected file but not long afterwards crashes... Avast does nothing.

Any advice or recommended progs to decontaminate?

Many thanks.

Hi TCD

Sorry to hear of your infection, however Im sure its removeable.

During my time as a network admin, the most successful method of persitent virus removal used was via the sophos bootable CD. This is available freely at:

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/52011 boot CD

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/111374 boot USB stick

You must create the boot disk/usb on a clean PC & follow the instructions carefully.

That would be my way of dealing with it.

If you have a friend with a Mac, you could try download Sophos for Mac for free. I have removed PC viruses from PC disks by removing from the PC & connecting via a disk caddy to Mac then scanning the disk with Sophos.

For all Mac users, please consider using AV - Sophos is free & its actually rather good

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

I have no connection with Sophos

N

• 2 months later...