Fitness Standards For Industries

jomoco

What percentage of the general population do you think have what it takes physically and mentally to climb in our industry safely?

More, or less, than say law enforcement, military special ops?

Ever see cops in uniform that you just know are horribly out of shape and vulnerable.

How many newly hired guys have you gone through before finding a keeper generally speaking, a dozen, more?

I think only about ten percent of the gen pop's fit enough physically, and less than five percent fit enough mentally and physically.

What say ye colleagues of treemen?

Jomoco

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we develop specific muscles according to our job.

I recently spent a day under a car mucking about with the gearbox.

At the end I ached all over and my neck and shoulders were murder.

I couldn't have done it the next day.

I think we can overplay the "industrial athlete" thing tbh.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

We've mechanized it a bit, made it substantially easier. But it still demands that combination of strength, dexterity and steely nerve to do it daily as a profession.

That ole timer in that 45 spar pole setting vid was probably one in a million tough.

He was no spring chicken either, looked late 30's early 40's to my eye.

Jomoco

Physical fitness can be gained whilst you're starting off in the industry; each person will be different and will be able to perform for longer periods of sustained work than his or her counterpart.

The important bit for me is his or her mental attitude; the ability to just crack on. Whether it's dragging rubbish all day or spending all day in the crown of a large reduction, whilst maintaining their composure is paramount in my opinion.

None have expressed an opinion on what percentage of the general population fits the bill as a commercial high climber?

I'm sayin less than five percent, kinda like navy seals n such.

Jomoco

I think I've heard it all now. Like Navy seals!?

You are tree climbers and cutters not exactly special op's. Nor any where near as fit I'd dare bet.

Like Dempsey said we build the muscles we need for the job we do. I had a go at tree climbing once and it near on killed me, gave a few Arbtalkers a belly laugh mind, and raised a few shillings for charity.