Mark J

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I disagree.

It might be overly simplistic and reductive, but we live in an increasingly unstable world, one where pressures of population and resources are going to be increasingly felt through the 21st century. I dearly hope that nuclear weapons are never needed, but you can never assume that the situation won't arise where they are called upon.

Beyond the utilitarian logic, I like the idea that there are thousands of highly skilled submariners, nuclear technicians and engineers based in Scotland and the wider benefits it brings to the community at Faslane and beyond.

I disagree.

It might be overly simplistic and reductive, but we live in an increasingly unstable world, one where pressures of population and resources are going to be increasingly felt through the 21st century. I dearly hope that nuclear weapons are never needed, but you can never assume that the situation won't arise where they are called upon.

Beyond the utilitarian logic, I like the idea that there are thousands of highly skilled submariners, nuclear technicians and engineers based in Scotland and the wider benefits it brings to the community at Faslane and beyond.

I do think it's a bit mad that Scotland (well the SNP anyway) don't want the jobs/money that trident will create?

If they are being kept the community should benefit.

I disagree.

Fair enough, I still think the day that millions of innocent people are incinerated belongs in the past.

With regards to the highly skilled people working in Faslane, there's no reason why they can't continue developing ground breaking technologies and amazing feats of engineering. It would be criminal to let that talent go to waste.

I just don't see the need for Trident.

I do think it's a bit mad that Scotland (well the SNP anyway) don't want the jobs/money that trident will create?

If they are being kept the community should benefit.

And what jobs is a renewed Trident going to create exactly ?

The MOD at faslane have cut jobs by 20% in the last three years and have stated the cuts to continue until 2018,of course they dont call ot cuts it called streamlining.

I live nearby faslane and in our community less than 7% of the locals are employed at faslane,most of the workers are Navy staff who,if faslane was closed would be moved elsewhere.

I find it repugnant that a government who insists on austerity cuts can find billions of pounds to spend on nuclear weapons that are as we speak 2nd hand going out of date crap bought from the yanks.

The term Nuclear deterent is one that confuses me.

What do they deter exactly...nuclear war..?

There are currently 9 countries across the globe that have nuclear weapons at there disposal,enough combined nuclear capabilities to destroy our planet many times over,Russia and USA are obviously the big 2 with huge arsenals of nuclear weapons,so if anything does start and just one of those nations presses that button we all go up,or die from the fallout.

Those two aside lets look at our own "nuclear deterent"

In what way do they deter?

Has it deterred the london terrorist attacks or the glasgow airport attacks ?

It would seem to me in our modern world a nuclear weapon lies dormant not deterring the kind of attacks we face in modern Britain, those from terrorists.

If even a portion of that money spent on nuclear weapons was put into anti terrorist causes we would go along way to preventing more attacks from our true enemies.

That aside what about that money spent on nuclear weapons,i can think of a whole host of things we could spend that money on the NHS,education,housing,training schemes for the young,our armed forces who are woefully under financed and are faced with more cuts- oh i mean streamlining-by the MOD,my god even giving a couple of million to charities or cancer research is more important than any bloody weapon.

Really think we need to keep our nuclear weapons. Can't the current system just be updated?

There's too many nutters about in this world, not to have a deterrent. We don't know what the future holds. Would be at a major disadvantage if Any country or terrorist decides to hold us to ransom if we can't strike back. It's kept the 'nuclear peace' since 1945

I disagree.

surely you can't think that we need them J?

if it's to keep the people whose jobs it may affect why not just divide the£25,000,000,000 (mod's estimate) - £205,000,000,000 (cnd's estimate) up between those people...

surely you can't think that we need them J?

if it's to keep the people whose jobs it may affect why not just divide the£25,000,000,000 (mod's estimate) - £205,000,000,000 (cnd's estimate) up between those people...

I dearly hope we do not, but I don't think that the cost is an unreasonable one. Whilst it was a long time ago, the last country in the world to give up it's nukes was Ukraine. I wonder if the situation in eastern Ukraine and Crimea would be different today had they not disarmed.