Charcoal Kilns - what to buy?

Woodgirl

I'm looking to buy a charcoal kiln or two. For small scale biochar, I've rather taken a fancy to a Kon Tiki kiln, but it seems that no-one makes them in England - unless you are going to tell me otherwise. Has anyone got one? Did you make it yourself? I'm in the East Midlands and would love to see it in action.

On a larger scale, I'd like to see an Exeter biochar retort. The makers have offered me a visit to one in Shropshire. Has anyone got one closer to Leicestershire that I could come and see?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TVI does still come on here (except when he is busy chasing the wizards out of his wood) and he does indeed have an Exeter retort.

They are a very expensive way to make biochar. What scale do you really want to work on? I have been experimenting with pit burning biochar, with some very satisfactory results. I reckon I am making about 250litres in a 1.5hr burn. It's the post-processing which takes the time, but if I got this automated I could probably sort it in about half an hour.

Alec

Yup, sorry folks, been away for a while. A particularly virulent plague of the pointy hat brigade materialised on my woodland boundary. The battleaxe is away at the polishers, and the deer stalkers could only pick off a couple so I have had to resort to anti mystic fencing.

The only metal inert enough to resist their meddlesome spells is gold, so I have been away mining under the Welsh mountains. I need 4 kilometers of fencing to surround the wood, and only managed to mine 6.5 grams of gold ore, so any donations gratefully received!:thumbup:

But I digress!

I do indeed have an Exeter retort in Suffolk that you would be very welcome to come and see (especially if you bring gold).

I am very excited about the potential of biochar and firmly believe that before too much longer it will eclipse the price of BBQ charcoal.

The regulations on production of commercial char are quite strict and you would need to be using a suitable kiln.

Do come for a chat and a biscuit if you are ever venturing South.

All the best, TVI

can you buy small scale kilns? I barbecue maybe twice a week during summer and the price of charcoal is so high these days I'd love to make use of an infinite supply of wood and make my own?

Edited by flatyre